Appomattox River Channel below Small Boat Harbor

I was on the Appomattox yesterday and noticed pvc pipes marking the channel. It is on the right downstream and just before the Vulcan Tug boat. It is about 10' wide and 4-5 feet at high tide and about 2-2.5 feet at low tide. I ran side imaging and you can see where large trees have sunk in the middle and silt has built up in the what was middle channel. I spoke with the owner of the small boat harbor and said it had been getting worse since 2017 but that with the high waters not at noticed. The Coe did a survey and at some point is suppose to dredge the channel as it is a navigable waterway. Thought i would pass this along.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Question I have always wondered but have yet to test out... how do you run the actual river channel, what they call the "live side" ? I have launched a boat at roslyn before and fished that stretch, but keep hearing about indian dams when going downstream and sandbars. Would love to be able to navigate between comstock and roslyn in my bass boat.
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

3. Member
    John, If i remember correctly, indian dams is just below or above the bridge. Navionics Webapps you can click on sonar charts (uploaded charts from users) and most of the time the uploads are useful.. Example of uploaded sonar maps not being updated can lead to disaster. Case in point, the area where it shows a channel is now blocked with trees, silt, and debris.

4. Member
    The GMCO James River Maps show where the Dam is. Everything else is just trial and error to learn. A good way to figure things out is to brave the cold for the full moon tide swings in the winter. Water tends to get way lower and you can see everything. Just bring plenty of warm clothing as getting stuck happens and you may have to wait out a tide to get going again. I can say definitely worth trying to learn it.