Power pole problem.

I noticed a couple of times on the lake I'll get ready to take off and my poles were halfway down. Didn't think much about it thought possibly I hit a button. Today driving home from the lake I looked back and didn't see my power poles. Stopped and found one had a spike pretty much ground halfway up. The other the spike was broken off and the frame had been dragging for a while. Any idea what causes these things to go down on their own? Deck is completely empty and nothing hitting a button. Both remotes are in my dresser drawer at home.

20210705_140014.jpg

20210705_140006.jpg

How long have you had them?

you should run through a home and hardware store and buy some 22" Velcro "wrap" organizers for electrical cords or hoses, then you strap them shut and they can't open.

I have read where the cable collector of the trolling motor would push foot buttons

have you bled them at all recently?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    How long have you had them?

you should run through a home and hardware store and buy some 22" Velcro "wrap" organizers for electrical cords or hoses, then you strap them shut and they can't open.

I have read where the cable collector of the trolling motor would push foot buttons

have you bled them at all recently?
    They have been bled. Pumps are newly rebuilt. Nothing hit the buttons. Trolling motor cable was strapped under rod strap. Wasn't a bleed down. Both went down at once. Did it a second time on the way home after my post. I think it is a problem with the down stomp switch. Hopefully parts are available to rebuild the bad pole

4. Member
    Not on main disconnect?
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Should be wired to a battery disconnect and recommend a pair of power pole travel straps.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    Should be wired to a battery disconnect and recommend a pair of power pole travel straps.
    I get all of that. Turn off power, travel covers, strap them down.

What causes it? How can I keep it from happening on the lake? They didn't fall down. They powered down.
    Last edited by bkeenom; 07-06-2021 at 06:01 AM.

7. Member
    What straps would you recommend? Just straps or covers? Thanks

8. Banned
    Kill two birds with one stone. RMP covers is what I use.

Covers will work and keep the highway bugs off them.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    powerpoles travel straps very cheap option if you dont wanna run covers or run the light and covers wont fit. could be as simple as a malfunction in a switch, dampness maybe in a foot control.. very rare occurance, ( first one ive heard of without someone actually hitting a switch) however a disconnect or travel straps would have prevented.

11. Member
    powerpoles travel straps very cheap option if you dont wanna run covers or run the light and covers wont fit. could be as simple as a malfunction in a switch, dampness maybe in a foot control.. very rare occurance, ( first one ive heard of without someone actually hitting a switch) however a disconnect or travel straps would have prevented.
    I have a set of covers but they are very hard to put on when running from spot to spot on the lake. Everything has worked fine for 6 months. This problem reared its head starting last weekend on the lake. I don't think we can assume that all of a sudden last weekend something started hitting my buttons and has done it 8 to 10 times. I'm sure it is a very rare occurrence that moisture got in one of the switches.
    Last edited by bkeenom; 07-06-2021 at 02:47 PM.

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bkeenom View Post
    I have a set of covers but they are very hard to put on when running from spot to spot on the lake. Everything has worked fine for 6 months. This problem reared its head starting last weekend on the lake. I don't think we can assume that all of a sudden last weekend something started hitting my buttons and has done it 8 to 10 times. I'm sure it is a very rare occurrence that moisture got in one of the switches.
    seen moisture in foot switches before not rare but never causes deployment, starp or cover was suggeted when traveling. not when moving from spot to spot on lake.

13. Member
    seen moisture in foot switches before not rare but never causes deployment, starp or cover was suggeted when traveling. not when moving from spot to spot on lake.
    Ok. Changing foot switches. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

14. Member
    Did the switch fix your problem?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 84rickygreen View Post
    Did the switch fix your problem?
    Won't have the new switch until tomorrow. I did take the old switch apart. There are four buttons on the inside two of them had broken solder points and were sort of just floating around. Most likely that was the issue. Power pole has been absolutely phenomenal to work with every time I've called them.

16. Banned
    run covers or run the light and covers wont fit.
    Not true, RMP makes a cover that fits over their light.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryFL View Post
    I have rmp covers that have a slot for the light.

18. Member
    I love my RMP covers.

19. mikesxpress
    SS ratchet straps for travel. Stops the road vibration and wearing out the joints in addition to securing the PP's. I've been using them for years and never had to rebuild sloppy poles again.

20. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryFL View Post
    I was speaking of the Power Pole travel covers not RMP covers were well aware RMP covers fit w the light.