Thread: Lithium

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lithium

Does lithium starting batteries stop voltage drops on graphs
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

2. Member
    That depends on what is causing the voltagedrop. If it is caused by using a battery with to litle Ah, a litium-based battery with enough Ah will solve the issue. If it is caused by bad connections or undersized wiring, it will not solve anything.

PS
    Batteries with a BMS (like in LiFePo4) should not be used as cranking-batteries for your outboard. In most cases you want a lead-based battery for that, although there are litium-batteries around that do not have a BMS that can be used (they are however in higher a pricerange versus LiFePo4).

3. Member
    Useing AGM but it does drop voltage over time, graphs, radio, live well pumps, active target, air pump for live well etc. looking for solution….
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

4. Member
    Was looking at several that are starting rated, lithium batteries do not drop voltage, why I was considering. Been using lithium for a long time on everything else, drills, flashlights, model air planes etc. voltage drop is never a concern. Was going to take a larger wire to my fuse box, terminal, then see. I believe at this time lithium will solve, opinions wanted
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

5. Banned
    I use a Mtech lithium starting battery that my electronics guy sold me. There is no way I would go back at this point. Not one single issue with volts/amps since I started running this battery.

Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Was looking at several that are starting rated, lithium batteries do not drop voltage, why I was considering. Been using lithium for a long time on everything else, drills, flashlights, model air planes etc. voltage drop is never a concern. Was going to take a larger wire to my fuse box, terminal, then see. I believe at this time lithium will solve, opinions wanted
    They do in fact drop some voltage. Not like lead acid but there is some. Easy to see on the bluetooth app.

7. Member
    question is how much and should i use a separate battery for electronics pumps etc
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

8. Member
    The BMS in the battery is there to protect the battery. If voltage gets to high, to low or the battery is beeing charged when it is already full, the BMS cuts voltage to the battery-poles. Your outboard will not like that, it can be dangerous if it happens at high speed and it can cause expencive damage to your outboard. It will void the warranty on your outboard as well, Mercury (as mots other brands) have clear instructions of type of battery to use in the manual.

Use a lead- based battery for cranking (and typically your lanterns) and LiFePo4 for everything else. You can charge the LiFePo4 from the cranking-battery if you want, using a charging relay or a DC/DC-charger. But do not use a battery with BMS for cranking.

9. Member
    If you have a strong desire to use lithium batteries as a starter, you can think of a lithium titanate battery without BMS. There are positive examples of the use of lithium titanate in cars, even in cold winter conditions. But everyone does this at their own peril and risk.

10. Member
    Correct from ttt18 there. :) There are litium-based batteries without a BMS than can be used for cranking, but those are typically well above the budget for most anglers. The litium-batteries most of us will use have a BMS, and should not be used for cranking.

11. Banned
    I can only get 3 batteries in my river rig so I choose to run a lithium starting battery. It looks to me like the motor and battery companies need to get together and figure this out. Actually after some reading it looks like the motor companies need to figure this out.

FWIW unless they specifically say it will void your warranty it can't according to US laws. Motor companies with continue to use the term "recommended" because they don't want lawsuits. If there were lawsuits they might have to fix their charging systems.

12. Member
    Have been running a relion HP 100 for 4 years now, 2 boats, mercury 150 proxs 2 stroke and now 2 years on a mercury 175 pro xs 4 stroke. Both worked flawlessly and I have had zero issues.. even on 2 hour plus runs on big lake chains. The graphs are more stable and you will reduce brown outs on starts as the lithium outperforms the lead acid quite easily for time vrs voltage drop.. but it will not fix poor wiring, bad connectors, or undersized wire.
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

13. Member
    I went to Ionic 125 starting and 8 gauge dedicated wiring. No more voltage drops for me!

On my system I have an AGM starter and a Ionic 125 auxiliary hooked with a selector switch to pull from either or both. I was leery to pull from the Ionic to run my Merc but have since switched and pull from the Ionic only. On my system there is an isolator between the batteries so both do receive a charge from the big motor and if the Ionic shut down the AGM could still get the charge assuring no damage to the outboard electrical system. Since using it this way I am almost to the point of replacing the AGM too.
    I also have the 3 Ionics 100s for my TM. Amazing stuff. I dont think I would want any battery without the bluetooth app. Pretty sweet.

15. Member
    On my 2019 Ranger Z520C with a Mercury 250hp V-8 Pro XS FourStroke, I run 4 lithium batteries on my rig: 1 Relion RB100-HP high peak for engine cranking, graphs, pumps, etc.; and 3 Relion RB100 for the 36V Ultrex trolling motor. Each of the 4 Relion lithium batteries weigh 30 lbs., run strong, and provide peace of mind.

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    250 Mercury V8 Pro XS Four-Stroke/Serial #:2B644590
    Minn Kota Ultrex 36V 112LB 45"
    LiveScope LVS34 Plus & Garmin 102SV (Bow)
    LiveScanner Motorized Pole/RyTek Marine Bracket/Garmin LVS34 Plus Xducer)
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live (Driver's Console)
    Precision Sonar Plates, Brackets, and Gimbals
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade
    Email: azhohar@centurylink.net

16. Member
    Sounds like I need 8 ga and a lithium starting battery
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    FWIW unless they specifically say it will void your warranty it can't according to US laws. Motor companies with continue to use the term "recommended" because they don't want lawsuits. If there were lawsuits they might have to fix their charging systems.
    Apparently, at least Mercury does state it will void your warranty. That would be enough to keep me away from them as a starter.

Mercury Service Bulletin 2021-06 specifically states that Lithium Ion Batteries are not to be used with any Mercury Outboard, or Mercruiser Sterndrive engines.

Mercury Service Bulletin 2021-06R1 states that Mercury has not certified any Lithium Ion Batteries for use with their engines (though some Boat manufacturers have tested them with their boats). Bulletin recommends following the installation instructions and manual, and states that any damage caused by using Lithium batteries will not be covered.
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

18. Member
    Again, using a battery with BMS for cranking is dangerous and can cause serious harm to both you and your outboard.

19. Member
    That’s 100% BS. No serious harm can come to you from using a lithium battery.

Here is the only fact that is possible. BMS cuts battery off. This exact thing can happen if you have a wire connector fail( my last new nitro had bad battery crimps front he factory which ended in exactly that happening). This may cause the motor to go into guardian mode. So does low water, over heating, low oil pressure etc…. It is true if you suddenly remove the load from an alternator they can fail (rarely but can happen) This would be the true danger or possible warrantee discussion point but again it is the same as if you have a power wire fall
    off a battery or wire break.

If you are worried about fighting a warr claim then by all means make the right choice for you. But let’s stop with making crap up and creating fear that is unfounded and untrue.

Nitro puts starting lithium batteries in as a option on new models… I bet mercury takes care of all warr issues on all of those boats..
    Last edited by ammdrew; 07-10-2021 at 12:57 PM.
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

20. Member
    Ok, lets chat about why a lithium battery could cause a issue with outboard?
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast