Chief petty officers

How many of you (chief's) where members of the Goat Locker?
    I was in for four years and made first class petty officer,I was told that if I re enlisted I would make chief. This was during a time when Vietnam was winding down and cuts in forces were happening, and early discharges were offered just about weekly.
    This created a stricter adherence for rank according to time served,experience, current rank and testing. Knowing that I would be possibly be discharged due reduction in manpower. ⁸

Retired Chief here. Boatswainsmate type. Once you are initiated and accepted you are a member of the Goat Locker/CPO Mess.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

3. Member
    Do they even do initiations anymore?
    Go Navy

Quote Originally Posted by FishHuntBiker View Post
    Do they even do initiations anymore?
    Go Navy
    They do a season and have the night of fun and learning but not like we used to.

Retired BMC U.S Coast Guard. 2010 went through the Initiation process and it was a blast. Being part of the mess, it’s what’s traditions are about.

6. Member
    Retired AOCS/CWO3......Boats is right, "season" as they call it now is nothing but a watered down version of what it was like when we got "INITIATED" into the MESS!

Quote Originally Posted by VBGUNNER View Post
    Retired AOCS/CWO3......Boats is right, "season" as they call it now is nothing but a watered down version of what it was like when we got "INITIATED" into the MESS!

8. Member
    Although I wasn't in long enough to make Chief, I did get a little insight into the "Initiation" night (1974). Working in the parachute loft as an AME, I learned how to sew pretty well and was commissioned to create a very "unique" garment for the soon to be Chief to wear at his initiation. I was sworn to secrecy never to identify the pattern or make-up of the garment.

Retired MCCS (previously JOCS). Initiation went away around 2005/6. It was very watered down before that as well.