Truck Camper Basics

I'm considering a Lance 650 truck camper and a Toyota Tundra SR5 Crew Max 4x4. The Tundra's maximum payload is 1560lb. and the Lance camper weights 1903 wet. I'll be towing my aluminum boat which weighed 3400lb. on certified scales. The Lance site says this combo is compatible but I'm not sure.

Would this be pushing the limit too much? What equipment should I add to the truck for safe towing if I go with this combo?

Thanks for your input.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

2. Alabama Bass Club Moderator
    IMHO, under no circumstances should that truck/camper combination even be a consideration even though Lance touts the 650 as suitable for half-ton trucks. According to the data from their web site, that camper has a dry weight of 1700 pounds so you're over the weight capacity before taking any other cargo (including passengers) into consideration. And no suspension enhancements will ever make it safe.

That's probably not what you wanted to hear and I'm sure someone will be along with a rebuttal but, try as you might, you can't argue with the numbers.
    Last edited by AveryF; 07-04-2021 at 10:30 AM.

You will also have to add in any and all passengers weight , the weight of contents of camper , clothes' , food , water, etc., and the tongue weight of trailer ( which is usually 10 % of combined weight of boat and trailer) so add another 340 lbs plus
    I would guess with you alone estimated total weight around 2400 lbs
    You can add airbags to level out the rear suspension
    But You will still be way overloaded
    The problem won't be towing it all , the issue will be braking and sway control

2009 ELITE 210

4. Member
    No way. You need a 3500

5. Member
    I have a Lance 825, and want to point out that the weight listed on the camper probably does not include the weight of any options. The weight of things like AC, jacks, awnings, ladders and etc are not likely included on the weight sticker. Tie-downs and brackets go on top of that. Then add whatever you’re going to haul on top of that. Our 2100lb wet camper, actually adds close to 3000 lbs to the back of our truck. Adding our 3500lb boat, passengers and gear to the truck, puts us close to 4000lbs (payload capacity is 4500lbs with our F350). No way you’re going to haul this with a Tundra, even a 3/4 ton truck will be way overloaded. Lance and their 1/2 ton claims are BS, unless it’s stripped, empty, and only one person in the truck. Been there, tried that.

6. Banned
    Sounds like you need to attend Truck Camper University

7. Member
    I never listen to the weight police. Having said that:
    1) Get an 825 TC - more options and less than 150# more
    2) Get a 250 (2500) or 350 (3500) Truck - make sure leaf springs in the rear, not coils
    As others have said, advertised weights are well below actual 'wet' weights when traveling.
    Towing your 3800# boat probably would cause one to lean to a 3500 (350) as you will
    likely need an extender hitch as well.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AveryF View Post
    IMHO, under no circumstances should that truck/camper combination even be a consideration even though Lance touts the 650 as suitable for half-ton trucks. According to the data from their web site, that camper has a dry weight of 1700 pounds so you're over the weight capacity before taking any other cargo (including passengers) into consideration. And no suspension enhancements will ever make it safe.

That's probably not what you wanted to hear and I'm sure someone will be along with a rebuttal but, try as you might, you can't argue with the numbers.
    ..to add, if anything happens, your insurance company may not cover you if you go over your capacity.
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

Here's my Tundra with an FWC Hawk shell.
    Attached Images Attached Images