Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finesse BaitCasting Tackle

I keep reading about folks using "finesse baitcasting" outfits. I have some nice rods that are lighter actions, but what specific reels are truly capable of throwing 1/8 oz. baits and other light stuff. Are there any real advantages over a spinning outfit?

2. Member
    Anything that is a sv Is pretty capable of throwing those baits ... specifically I use a diawa sv t namiki limited and to me the biggest advantage is no line twist like with a spinning setup
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

I think it's just an alternative to spinning gear for whatever reason people may want. I know I don't particularly enjoy using spinning gear after getting decent with a baitcaster and I throw my lighter stuff using a T3 1016. I just prefer the amount of control I have even if there is a bit of a sacrifice on casting distance with the real light stuff. If I remember correctly, BFS reels originated in Japan and have been popular over there for a while now and they're just now starting to pop up in the USDM. Shimano has the Curado BFS now, but there are several options with JDM reels, the SV lineup, and whatever aftermarket spools that are available.

4. Member
    I’m in spinning reel country but I don’t see any advantage BFS gives other than just to keep up with the cool kids. I have more control with a spinning rod and gain casting distance along with versatility. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, just far more advantages with spinning tackle than baitcast imo but I can see the southern guys using BFS since baitcast reels rule down there.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    To me, casting reels have always had an advantage over spinning from a casting accuracy standpoint- and getting fish out and away from cover once hooked. The down side was always casting distance. Until Daiwa Air TW. Casts as far or farther than the spinning reels I use, plus the other advantages. I primarily throw 1/16 oz hair jigs and 1/10 Ned rigs on a 7’1” Phenix Feather Light-Fast casting rod.

The Daiwa "air" reels are usually made for this, along with quite a few others in their JDM lineup. The Alphas Air is probably the most popular example. I've got an SS Air that I absolutely love...24 lb Gliss to whatever size leader and I can throw down to 1/16 oz stuff easily with it.

To me, a spinning reel is king when fishing offshore. I can still cast a spinning reel further, and getting a bait to fall straight down, particularly in the wind, is much easier with a spinning reel. But when it comes to precise casting and covering water with more finessey stuff or really just fishing shallower in general I think the BFS stuff shines. Yes, for traditional spinning rod techniques, but also for downsized techniques where you'd normally use a casting rod. For example, I've thrown the "micro" chatterbaits on it quite a lot and had a lot of success. I also really like throwing little spinnerbaits like the Evergreen D-Zone Fry and they will absolutely fly with the BFS setup where it's kind of struggle on a regular casting setup. Last thing that comes to mind right away that's way better with BFS are those small, lightweight jerkbaits that people often throw on spinning gear--worlds better on a casting reel when you can actually cast them!
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 07-05-2021 at 09:05 AM.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

7. Member
    i've been using a tatula sv with a shallow spool, 4# mono, and a daiwa blazon 6'4 l power rod for crappie fishing the past month or so. been havin a blast!

8. Member
    From a reel perspective Daiwa has definitely been the leader in throwing lighter lures for many many years. Shimano has the Aldebaran MGL now in the US Market, and the Curado BFS, and they have several true BFS versions in the Japanese Market that have been around for years, but Daiwa has definitely been the leader of the pack. You can pick up a used Daiwa Pixy, Alphas, SV 105, for a decent price on E-Bay if you want a casting setup for light line applications. Daiwa reels are also very customizable, so you don't have to be stuck only have a BFS reel. You can buy a BFS spool for aliExpress of E-Bay for $50, and you have a reel that can do more than 1 thing. You can also find these spools for Tatula reels if you are simply looking to experiment.

9. Banned
    I own a pair of the discontinued gold colored BPS Carbonlite CH10's, with Abec 7 bearings, lubed with Yellow Rocket Fuel that will pitch a 1/16oz weighted plastic with ease! The newer Carbonlite 2.0's do pretty well too, with upgraded bearings.

10. Member
    In big open areas such as on big wind swept lakes or in saltwater where I can use 7' or longer rods I still prefer spinning gear for lighter presentations. That being said I'll take casting gear in most every other situation which is predominantly what I fish. Most who've I've introduced to BFS casting gear have enjoyed it to the point they go get a setup of their own shortly.

Most of my fishing is done on smaller bodies of water such as ponds and small rivers and streams. The latest generation of finesse casters are pretty incredible for this type of fishing and really have a lot of advantages. I've casted under 1g accurately for trout on 4lb mono and in the 2-4g range I can match my spinning gear for distance on 6lb mono. Casting gear has a few distinct advantages for me, number one is line twist, number 2 one handed casting and number 3 control. The small streams and rivers I frequent are usually super clear and shallow and casting is done in tight cover. My casting gear is more accurate than spinning gear and has the advantage of being able feather and or stop the spool mid cast to either soften the impact in the water which limits spooking fish or stop the lure all together if a rogue branch jumps out in the way of my cast. Being able to hold a branch with one hand and cast with the other is icing on the cake.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    I own a pair of the discontinued gold colored BPS Carbonlite CH10's, with Abec 7 bearings, lubed with Yellow Rocket Fuel that will pitch a 1/16oz weighted plastic with ease! The newer Carbonlite 2.0's do pretty well too, with upgraded bearings.
    Two of the reels I learned to cast #5 Shad Raps (3/16 oz.) with were refurbished gold colored BPS Carbonlites. Haven't tried lighter, but believe that I could go a bit lighter. Especially with better bearings. I get pretty good distance with the Shad Raps. Wouldn't mind having one of the older Prolites.

The nice thing about Daiwa is you can get shallow, lighter spools from several sources.

12. Member
    I have 2 "BFS" setups I've been playing with. I have a Daiwa Tatula CT with an light weight spool on a Phenix Feather ML that I use for dropshot and a KastKing Zephyr BFS on a Phenix Feather L that I use for NED rigs. Running straight fluoro on both. I can cast at least as far as with my spinning rods although generally, I don't throw dropshot or NED long distances. Much better control with a baitcasting reel at least for me and I just prefer the feel better. Plus I hate spinning rods on the deck of my boat.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by contium View Post
    I have 2 "BFS" setups I've been playing with. I have a Daiwa Tatula CT with an light weight spool on a Phenix Feather ML that I use for dropshot and a KastKing Zephyr BFS on a Phenix Feather L that I use for NED rigs. Running straight fluoro on both. I can cast at least as far as with my spinning rods although generally, I don't throw dropshot or NED long distances. Much better control with a baitcasting reel at least for me and I just prefer the feel better. Plus I hate spinning rods on the deck of my boat.
    How do you like the Kastking Zephyr as compared with the Daiwa Tatula?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    How do you like the Kastking Zephyr as compared with the Daiwa Tatula?
    The Daiwa isn't really a BFS so not really a realistic comparison. But so far, the Zephyr has been great. Light, smooth, cast 1/15 oz NED rigs great. Will see how it holds up. It actually pretty amazing considering it cost $55.99. Looking to get the new Carado BFS soon.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    I’m in spinning reel country but I don’t see any advantage BFS gives other than just to keep up with the cool kids. I have more control with a spinning rod and gain casting distance along with versatility. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, just far more advantages with spinning tackle than baitcast imo but I can see the southern guys using BFS since baitcast reels rule down there.
    I've built myself a couple of light baitcasting rods and I've got some Aldebarans and I agree with you with one exception...found that I really prefer fishing spybaits on a baitcaster. Point Blank 701MLF, Aldebaran and 8lb Tatsu is killer for the spinbait 80's. I know that they're 3/8oz and you can cast them with just about any baitcaster but I like using 8lb line and the Aldebaran handles it better than my regular baitcasters which are mostly Curado 70s.

16. Member
    I have 2, maybe 3 tactics that I would use a BFS over a spinning rod.
    1. Spybaits. The spinbait 80/90 are heavy enough, but you have to use light line, and traditional casting rods don't throw 10lb braid and 7-8lb fluoro and those baits throw so much better on a spinning rod.
    2. Finesse swimbaits. My go-to most of the time are small keitechs (2.8-3.3) on light jigheads (1/8-3/16oz) on light line (10-12lb braid and 6-12lb fluoro leader).

Those two I think would be the perfect BFS.
    The third would be target casting a ned rig. Again, being able to throw either straight 6lb fluoro or 8lb-10lb braid and 6lb fluoro leader with a 1/16oz ned on a casting rod where I can be much more accurate with my casts. I'd still use a spinning rod most of the time, but there would be times when a casting rod and a ned would be ideal.

I've been looking at Daiwa Pixy's on ebay for a while for this.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

17. Member
    Now Okuma has a BFS reel out too
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

18. Member
    I like the Steez CT SV for throwing light stuff. The advantages for me are casting accuracy and line management with fluorocarbon. The disadvantage is throwing light baits into the wind.

19. Member
    If you have the OG Daiwa reels with 34mm spools...Rays, DIY, Roro, Megabass, ZPI and others offer BFS/finesse spools.

I can easily cast 3/16 poppers like the Daiwa Pop Zero with a cheap MIC Ray's BFS spool and 10lb braid on a GLoomis CB 845, even better with a "BFS" spec/capable rod. This said, the very best casting BFS spool I have ever used is in my OG Aldebaran MG7, it is a purple Avail spool with the Avail four-pin brakes, it is the lightest and shallowest spool Avail ever produced for the OG Alde...last time out I was casting a Pin's minnow (second size up) on 6lb Izorline XXX on my Fenwick Golden Wing 6'10" LP+J very good distances, nearly as good as my light powered 6'9" spinning on the same said 6lb mono and an OG Daiwa 2000 sized spool threadline.

All this said, for poppers and most all balsa baits that tend to tumble and get caught up in the wind when even the "bugs fart", spinning with braid + leader always outperforms and is more consistent for me than any BFS...although it may not have that "New Kid in Town" smell.

Good luck.
    Last edited by dragon1; 07-27-2021 at 11:44 AM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    If you have the OG Daiwa reels with 34mm spools...Rays, DIY, Roro, Megabass, ZPI and others offer BFS/finesse spools.

I can easily cast 3/16 poppers like the Daiwa Pop Zero with a cheap MIC Ray's BFS spool and 10lb braid on a GLoomis CB 845, even better with a "BFS" spec/capable rod. This said, the very best casting BFS spool I have ever used is in my OG Aldebaran MG7, it is a purple Avail spool with the Avail four-pin brakes, it is the lightest and shallowest spool Avail ever produced for the OG Alde...last time out I was casting a Pin's minnow (second size up) on 6lb Izorline XXX on my Fenwick Golden Wing 6'10" LP+J very good distances, nearly as good as my light powered 6'9" spinning on the same said 6lb mono and an OG Daiwa 2000 sized spool threadline.

All this said, for poppers and most all balsa baits that tend to tumble and get caught up in the wind when even the "bugs fart", spinning with braid + leader always outperforms and is more consistent for me than any BFS...although it may not have that "New Kid in Town" smell.

Good luck.
    I put one on my Tatula CT Casting Reel 100XS. I don't think that is OG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast