Question Maybe Someone Can Tell Me the Resoning Behind...

putting 17" wheels on a boat trailer. My son-in-law has a 2020 Vexus VX21, and about a week ago hit something on the interstate and bent one axle on the trailer. He ended up having a blowout on the right front Kenda Loadmaster tire and destroying the rear tire, fender, etc (not the fault of the tires). While shopping for a couple of new tires, or maybe a full set, we have discovered that we could not find any of the major manufacturers that build a trailer tire in ST 21565R17, and all the rest are China Poppers. I understand that Ranger and possibly other manufacturers put 17's on their trailers also. I've read where some people have gone to Michelin passenger / small SUV tires in this size on their boat trailers, but I've always been leery of using LT or passenger tires on my trailers. I have a friend who is the manager at one of the Discount Tire stores, and the only trailer tire he could find in that size, that they can order, is a Vision Heavy Hauler, 10 ply rated, Load Range E. He thought they were built in South America, but guess what, after checking - another China built tire.

It seems to me that a 16" wheel would give us boaters a lot more choices for tires. Any thoughts on this issue, and suggestions on the best way to go?

No help here ...
    Does seem like an ODD-ball size for a trailer. I know many are going to larger wheel size.. I've yet to see any advantage !
    Some say it looks better, but I'm fine with the old 14 and 15" wheels.
    Might be better off in the long run to get different size wheels that you can find tires for.

3. Member
    Im still trying to figure why people put low profile tires on anything but a sports car.
    To rough of a ride

Agree with both you guys!! I don't understand the low profile tire thing on trailers either. I'm still scratching my head over the whole deal - just don't see the logic. I agree that it must be entirely done for aesthetics making the trailer ride and handling (and possibly safety) worse than the same trailer with a 1" or 2" smaller wheel and higher profile tire. Here's a YouTube video I watched about a dealer in California that puts Michelin LT tires on Airstream Travel Trailers, but while they might work fine, even those don't come in a 17" tire unless you go to a 23565R17 which is 4" larger diameter than a 215.

5. Member
    If it was mine I would put something like these on it and let'er ride. Way better than trailer tires, have done it for years. IMO And make them balance them also, they try and wiggle out since they are going on a trailer.

MICHELIN
    DEFENDER T + H
    215 /65 R17 99H SL BSW

6. Member
    Once you use decent passenger tires on a dual axle boat trailer you will never go back to cheap made ST tires. One caveat, make sure the weight of boat, motor and trailer does not exceed 75% of the max load rating of the 4 tires. Much better tires, ride better, balance better and great tread life.

There is a reason the trailer companies use a 14in wheel... Especially on a single axle trailer where the weight is not shared between 4 points of contact.

You can find nice 14 in wheels to put the Goodyear Endurance load range D tires on.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

They look good. But that's all. I love my 14"s.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Member
    My wifes grandson is a regional manager for the second largest tire store in the US & we were talking Saturday & he said good year endurance & carlisles were the best trailer tires period.

10. Member
    I'm always going to go for more sidewall and load rating over looking cool because I have a lower profile tire on my Ranger trailer.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

11. Member
    probably a dumb question. Does the taller tires make any appreciable difference in tire wear and even bearing life since there will be fewer rotations?
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    probably a dumb question. Does the taller tires make any appreciable difference in tire wear and even bearing life since there will be fewer rotations?
    Sure but you can get tall tires on a 15" rim, they don't have to be 22's. But taller tires means you must have to back into the water farther.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    "Sure but you can get tall tires on a 15" rim, they don't have to be 22's. But taller tires means you must have to back into the water farther."

I would say it is negligible.

Breaking down the numbers of an ST 21565R17: ST - means it is a Trailer tire, 215 is the tread width in mm, 65 is the aspect ratio (% of the height of the sidewall in relation to the tread - the higher the number %the taller the sidewall of the tire - 215mm X 65% = 139.75 mm, 215mm X 75% = 161.25 mm ) the R means it is a radial tire, 17 is the wheel diameter in inches.

What you want to do is match your overall tire diameter, which is independent of the wheel size. The Kenda Loadstar ST 21565R17 tire diameter is 28". The Goodyear Endurance ST 22575R15 tire diameter is 28.31" (it is not built in a 215 width). The Goodyear Endurance ST 21575R14 tire diameter is 26.69". As you can see, there is only about 1.5" difference in diameter, or lowering your trailer height .75" by using a 14" wheel verses a 17" wheel. The difference in circumference is only about 4.5" on the 14" vs 17", and about equal using a 225 on a 15" wheel and the 17" tire. The main difference is the aspect ratio. The 15" tire would actually turn fewer times per mile than the 17".
    Last edited by Texas Larry; 07-07-2021 at 06:18 AM.

14. Member
    Probably be cheaper to buy new wheels and tires if you don’t have to have bling wheels.