Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Carolina rig rod

Have tried various mh rods but thinking I may want a slightly lighter tip. I usually throw 3/4oz so that's where maybe I need to go to 1/2oz for a lighter tip and more deflection...but hoping for a solution that will allow me to stay 3/4oz with great deflection but good backbone...ideas? Usually 15lb fluro or 30lb braid to 12-14lb mono.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

2. Member
    How long rod?

3. Member
    Current throw a 7'3" and 7'4".

4. Member
    That's similar to me. Are you not hooking fish or just want more sensitivity?

5. Member
    Want a lite softer tip so deflects more for visual "sensitivity ."

Alx dragger

7. Member
    Had a dragger i tried about 2 yrs ago. Tried phenix k2 736, 765 (liked the tip but reel seat and hook hanger didn't seem to complete the package), zbone 7'3 4power (my current rod), helium 2 mh 7'4", expride 7'7" H.

8. Member
    NRX+ 873CRR

9. Moderator
    I had a rod built just for Carolina rigging. The blank is a St. Croix Big Gulp blue blank. Was built by a local guy. The rod is 7'11" and the guides are spiral wrapped. The best money I've ever spent on a rod. Can make long casts and set the hook from a distance.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster14 View Post
    NRX+ 873CRR
    +1

I was going to recommend a Feather 7'3" XH which is what I throw 1/2-1 oz C-rigs and other dragging techniques on with quite a lot of success--the sensitivity is great and it's got plenty of backbone, but it does have that softer tip. That said, if you didn't like the K2 736 you'll probably not like that Feather....it has the wedge style hook hanger on the underside right above the reel seat which I think is different than the K2, but I believe the reel seat is quite similar. I really like those reel seats, though it seems they're kind of a love it or hate it type thing for many.

Good luck on your search!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

When guys get the new 21 Daiwa Steez AGS Compile-X 79H and start C-rigging with it, no doubt it will be in the discussion as one of the best on the market for that application, and really so many others.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    When guys get the new 21 Daiwa Steez AGS Compile-X 79H and start C-rigging with it, no doubt it will be in the discussion as one of the best on the market for that application, and really so many others.

Yeah this would be the one for sure, I am shocked they are still showing in Stock

this is a very very versatile rod, its light and doesn't fish like a 79 rod either or feel that long in the hand

14. Member
    I've been quite happy using a Tackle Trap Edition Hammer rod 7'6" Heavy for C-rig. The length gives me castability and the Hammers have a nice soft tip to let me see when a fish picks up the bait. I like the long handle of the Tackle Trap model because I can stick it up against my side and drag the bait sideways and I feel everything.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

15. Member
    I use two rods for Carolina rigging. Both are great. First is NRX 873ccr it’s awesome I only fish 1/2 oz on this rod. It has a lot of backbone with a lot of tip to it it’s perfect. Second is the ALX dragger if I need 3/4 oz it’s a stiffer stick than the NRX. I use the dragger in thick grass and the NRX in wood. Hope this helps.

Shimano Conquest 905c

17. Member
    To bad they're not still made, I'm a C-rig guy that always has one tied on to a Falcon Cara Lizard Dragger I or Lizard Dragger II. I have the NRX 873 CRR but have not tried it for its intended C-rig use yet.

18. Member
    Check out the ALX Ikos Promise 73. May have the right tip for what your wanting.

19. Member
    A little pricey, but a Dobyns Champion Extreme HP 784 is one sweet stick for carolina rigging. It will handle anything from 5/16 to 1 oz weights, sensitive enough to detect bottom composition changes, and the 7'8" length + tip action helps in casting distance and hooksets. Mine also pulls double duty for throwing ol monsters/etc.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by o2bbassin View Post
    A little pricey, but a Dobyns Champion Extreme HP 784 is one sweet stick for carolina rigging. It will handle anything from 5/16 to 1 oz weights, sensitive enough to detect bottom composition changes, and the 7'8" length + tip action helps in casting distance and hooksets. Mine also pulls double duty for throwing ol monsters/etc.
    This

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast