Your thoughts on a custom console?

So my son and I have done pretty much all the other normal fixes to our 2001 Xpress X19 (carpet, wiring, recessed tray, gauges, seats, trailer hubs, outboard fixes, etc) I a debating if it's worth building a custom console? Or finding one that might work? The existing one is more or less toast, I fabricated a "fix" using 1/8" sheet plastic for the cowl and dash. I just think I could build one from light gauge plywood and glass it. Thoughts, advice, experience on this? I appreciate any and all.... TIA

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallie_Hawgin View Post
    So my son and I have done pretty much all the other normal fixes to our 2001 Xpress X19 (carpet, wiring, recessed tray, gauges, seats, trailer hubs, outboard fixes, etc) I a debating if it's worth building a custom console? Or finding one that might work? The existing one is more or less toast, I fabricated a "fix" using 1/8" sheet plastic for the cowl and dash. I just think I could build one from light gauge plywood and glass it. Thoughts, advice, experience on this? I appreciate any and all.... TIA
    I'm in for this...hehehe. We're in the same boat as I've totally, frame up, redone my '03 Pro Hawk 180 and a dual axle. My console is in pretty good shape, but, I've sure thought about modifying it a bit....😉

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    I'm in for this...hehehe. We're in the same boat as I've totally, frame up, redone my '03 Pro Hawk 180 and a dual axle. My console is in pretty good shape, but, I've sure thought about modifying it a bit....
    Probably try and tackle this over the winter.... Just thinking we could do more ergonomic and aerodynamic option, then what is there. Build a place for the graph and proper gauge placement etc... I will do my best to capture the process... Thinking 1/8" ply and glass... Assuming you can color the resin appropriately?, paint the ply prior to glass? or is it best to paint after? No fiberglass expert here, that's for sure.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallie_Hawgin View Post
    Probably try and tackle this over the winter.... Just thinking we could do more ergonomic and aerodynamic option, then what is there. Build a place for the graph and proper gauge placement etc... I will do my best to capture the process... Thinking 1/8" ply and glass... Assuming you can color the resin appropriately?, paint the ply prior to glass? or is it best to paint after? No fiberglass expert here, that's for sure.
    I've worked with fiberglass before, but, not on a project that's a bit ambitious. I've been kicking around pulling mine and carving on it a bit then using it as a base to modify it with fiberglass then painting, etc. I'm just not sure I will end up with a proper looking console......professional. I'd HATE to end up with a console that looks like a "rig"....😉

Btw, painting with "tintable" Raptorliner is money IMOP.

5. Member
    Build it out of wood, make it perfect, body filler. get some good thick primer like Duratec, spray it on, or brush if you must about a 1/4" thick. Sand that puppy out, maybe 1200 grit but in reality 1000 will do. Wax the piss out of it, partall #2 is really good. Get some gel coat, red, green or orange (tooling gel, for multiple parts, regular will work fine). 5-6 coats of wax, spray on the gel coat ( you have to build the part so the mold will pull off, or a multi piece mold) resin and mat for the mold. If it's just a one part and done you don't need tooling gel or resin, save the money. Buy enough resin and mat to do the mold and the part, 1/2 gallon of gel for the mold, 1/2 gallon for the part. You could buy neutral base gel and tint it what ever color you want for the mold, and tint it the color for the new helm. Bingo, done deal.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

6. Banned
    MAybe you can follow this guy's lead?

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....361&highlight=