Thread: Sig 938

Sig 938

Is Sig 938 a good pistol for personal defense ???
    520 L TDY

2. Member
    That's what I carry. Wife has one as well but I got her a Glock 43. The Sig 938 is a single action only with no de-cocker. Was just a lot for her to remember in a "heat of the moment" moment if ya know what I mean. The Glock is a point and shoot pistol.

Having said that, IMO, the Sig is far and away the better weapon. I'm very partial to Sigs. Sig was my duty weapon.

3. Member
    Thanks.
    520 L TDY

Yes it is. It's very reliable, I had one. The only glitch I had was 2 rds of ZQI ammo. I was told they probably had hard primers. The rds did fire out of a 226.

As Richie says it is a single action 1911 style handgun. Totally different from DA/SA or Striker fire handguns. Wouldn't take long to get use to but if you carry chambered you need to engage the safety on the 938 especially if you pocket carry. It has a light trigger when loaded and cocked. I think about 3 lbs. Another one you might consider is the Kimber Micro 9. Same basic design and a bit larger in overall size.
    BTW, Springfield Armory also makes one called the 911. It is exactly the same as the 938 and I believe the mags are interchangeable. I'd shop for the best price on the 911 and 938 since they are carbon copies of each other.

One factor that I just checked on, Kimber has only a 1 yr Warranty. Sig and SA have limited lifetime for original owner.
    Last edited by Big Al; 07-02-2021 at 12:04 PM.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

5. Member
    Thanks, more good info.
    520 L TDY

6. Banned
    The trigger on my 938 is atrocious. It's impossible to shoot with any accuracy.

7. Member
    I had a 938. I never had issues with fmj rounds. I tried multiple boxes of hornady american gunner +P hollow points and every magazine had failure to feed issues. I sold it after it not being able to feed hollow points. A friend had one and never had issues with hollow points.

8. Member
    The one that is good is the one that you have with you.

9. Member
    Between my son and myself we have and carry a number of 938s. Excellent carry weapon once you've put enough rounds through it to prove there are no faults. Some of the early models had an issue with dropping the mag on discharge but were easily fixed. Although Sig reps will deny it their mags are produced in 3 different varieties also. Some are .015" more shallow than others and others have convex dimples at the top of the mag while all others are smooth sided. I've found the dimples to not allow an empty mag to fall free on it's own in some of my guns so I buff the dimples off. The last thing I want in a distressing situation is to have to manually remove an empty mag before throwing in another.

As a long time 1911 shooter I nearly require a thumb safety out of habit which is another selling point for me.

10. Member
    The 938 is my carry gun also. In a Wright Leather Works Bronco OWB holster carried at 5 o’clock, it is so comfortable I sometimes forget I have it on.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

11. Member
    Thanks, I will check it out.
    520 L TDY