Banned

Grip and reel seat question

Hey guys, I'm building my 2nd rod and just noticed a problem with the reel seat and grip fit. I'm wondering if I didn't happen to buy a grip meant for a spinning rod judging by the pictures on mudhole. Could someone confirm my suspicions on this?

The parts in question are the 8.5" Winn grip long swell and 16mm crb graphite casting grip. The casting grip wants to fit over the Winn grip and is not a flush fit at where it is supposed to be at
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just looking at that long swell grip, could you turn it around and see if the other arbor fits better in your reel seat? Looks like the arbor is too small in your pic and one end has a little larger diameter.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

3. Member
    Looks like you have it on backwards, the big end goes toward the reel seat.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    Just looking at that long swell grip, could you turn it around and see if the other arbor fits better in your reel seat? Looks like the arbor is too small in your pic and one end has a little larger diameter.
    I initially thought that I might be able to do that but then I run into a 2mm gap between the grip and the reel seat. To add to that, the butt end does not fit while it fits like a glove as is. Looking at the pictures on mudhole, the rod should taper to the skinny end at the reel seat

I looked at the 10.5 inch long swell on Winn grips site and it shows a casting setup just the opposite. Large end to the reel seat with a nice fighting butt on it. I’ll post the link. To close that 2 mm gap, you can take a razor blade and trim that 2mm off the arbor for fitment. Seems I’m continually fighting with fitment from reelseats to winding checks, cork, butt caps and on and on. Hopefully you can find a butt cap you like to fit it. Could be the next challenge.

http://www.winngripsfishing.com/prod...ong-swell-105/
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

6. Banned
    Well would you just look at that! It seems as if the picture on mudhole's website threw me for a loop. I just placed another order for a new butt cap. This build is going to be for my grandpa so I'm trying to make it my best one yet!

Quote Originally Posted by liljakec View Post
    Well would you just look at that! It seems as if the picture on mudhole's website threw me for a loop. I just placed another order for a new butt cap. This build is going to be for my grandpa so I'm trying to make it my best one yet!
    You mentioned that it fit the rod better the way you have it in your pics. The Winn grips can be reamed to fit just like cork. They are harder to ream and hard on your reamer just because of the material. Good luck with your build.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763