Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Is this normal for Mercury props?

I also posted this in the props forum.

Finally got a Tempest Plus I ordered a few months ago. Brand new in the box.

Installed it this evening, and after looking at it, a few things bug me.

First is the number and size of the weights to balance the prop. The Mercury site says they may balance them with small weights. These seems like to pretty big weights to me.

Second thing that bugs me is it looks like the metal is pitted on the inside by two of the blades. From what I can see, there is also some rust forming.

This is my first Mercury, and just becoming familiar with the props. Is this their normally quality? Is the thing even safe to run? I would think those two pitted spots are failure points. I checked my Fury 4, and it has zero flaws.

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance

Prop 1.jpgProp 2.jpgProp 3.jpg

2. Member
    Wow ! That's a new one to me. I've never seen a prop with balancing weights inside. Maybe that's ok, I don't know. If you keep it send it Mark Croxton and let him evaluate it. The pitted areas don't seem so good either, but again I'm not an expert.
    GETFISHED !!!

I have never seen weights like that in/on a prop. Weird…
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

I wouldn’t want it. Ive never seen a prop with weights.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

5. Member
    I did find this. So maybe it’s a new standard.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/d...ve-perfection/

Just seems like an awful lot of weight. The pitting and rust worry me more. Seems like a casting defect.

My Tempest Plus doesn't have weights.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

7. Member
    i have 2 tempest 24p no weights??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    I wouldn't want that prop and would return if possible.

9. Member
    It appears that the propshaft is off center perhaps due to a bad hub.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

My tempest plus has no weights. But something is just not right. From a balance perspective you would never put balance weights 180 degrees from one another like shown. And how the heck are they even attached?
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

11. Member
    Never seen anything like that.

12. Member
    Appears to be the new norm. Stuck on with adhesive tape.

13. Member
    So instead of fitting it and balancing it properly they now throw a band aid on it. And like typical some paid shill is trying to spin it as the next greatest positive thing.

14. Member
    well i have used the same mercury prop for 9 years fish a couple of times a week so it gets used now imagine this a couple of pieces of double sided tape holding a couple of pieces of lead inside the exhaust system spinning at 6000 rpm under water
    Would you buy into this for a long term investment and what are mercury thinking
    Last edited by richardZ7; 07-01-2021 at 09:57 PM. Reason: missed a word

I doubt those weights will ever move. If you want, remove them though it would be unwise. Mercury has decided to start precision balancing this series of props and I believe it is the best way to do so. The alternative is to remove metal from the blades which is undesirable. Done with weights the blades can maintain their shape and progression equally. You will have a more efficient prop I believe with the weight system
    I will bet that this starts a new trend in high performance props, Keep in mind identical blade profiles are just as important to the overall balance as static balance is
    We need every blade to displace the exact same amount of water and provide the exact same thrust
    Would hope My prop guy understand this well when servicing one for me when I get one
    I would gladly trade my Gilbert prepped 26 for one of these in a 25 as Think they will perform a little better after he reprofiles it for my boat
    The 26 I have is my backup and just a little to stiff more me, Is a very fast prop butt a little lacking on the bottom end
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-02-2021 at 11:31 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach185 View Post
    My tempest plus has no weights. But something is just not right. From a balance perspective you would never put balance weights 180 degrees from one another like shown. And how the heck are they even attached?
    +1 Adding weights roughly 180* apart is not balancing, it's hiding something.
    In the past decade most of the world has changed over to CCC (cheap chinese crap), and their steel, in any form never met any standard. They are full of inclusions and voids. So most of the world dropped the standards so they could use chinese cheap steel. I think the the linked article is just weasel wording for the customer to think something bad is actually good. I wouldn't accept that prop myself. And I suspect the increased breakage of Bravos is because of the cheap steel. The older thinner Bravo's are tougher.

17. Member
    Wow
    Mercury’s reputation for the best props just collapsed 😳
    That’s the cheap out way to balance a prop. I would by a used one and have it professionally gone over before I ran that thing. What happens to your LU if it throws a weight?

18. Member
    2 opposing weights doesn't make any sense to me. If you weighed the 2 and took the difference and put it where the heavier weight was, seems like a more logical plan. IF I was going to put a stick on weight in a prop. Next thing I guess they will be welding washers in there

I've ran ALOT of Mercury props in the last 40 years of boating and I have never seen or heard of putting weights on a prop. Something that just don't seem right is having 2 weights opposite of each other. You'll never see that on a vehicle's tire.

20. Banned
    No way I would accept that.

I've my props balanced by Croxton. Never seen anything like that.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast