A Tip and a Question

I wanted to pass on a little tip to all of my fellow Potomac River fishermen. Make sure you check your livewells thoroughly either after a tournament or as soon as you get home. The bass are gorging on very large crayfish now, and little did I know that there were some left in my livewell from last weekend (today is thursday and been hot all week...get the picture). When I opened my livewell a few minutes ago, it about knocked me out of the boat. I don't know what a skunks butthole smells like, but my livewell right now is worse. If you know of anyone that would take a dare, I would pay $20 for anyone that could stick their head in my livewell and breath normally for 30 seconds. It is F-O-W-L!!!!

Now the question....I've sucked out all the water and crawfish remnants but how do I remove the aweful smell? Im afraid to use any chemicals for fear of killing fish I may place in there going forward. Any thoughts?

2. Member
    Try some baking soda with water and maybe some vinegar. Don’t think that would harm any fish you put in there especially if rinse them out good.

3. Member
    Had the same thing happen a few years ago and I washed it out with bleach. Rinse with lots of water and let it dry. Didn't have any problems after that.

4. Member
    So I would venture to say you do not rinse out your livewell after a tournament. Should be done after each tournament Also the VT-2 vents would be a big help. I rinse with fresh water and shop vac my wells after every tournament.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    So I would venture to say you do not rinse out your livewell after a tournament. Should be done after each tournament Also the VT-2 vents would be a big help. I rinse with fresh water and shop vac my wells after every tournament.
    I have been bass fishing for over 40 years and I have never came home and washed my livewell out...
    Greg Haberkorn (Habby)
    2018 Ranger Z521L
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS - 2B738680

Quote Originally Posted by Habby View Post
    I have been bass fishing for over 40 years and I have never came home and washed my livewell out...
    Is that because there hasn’t been any fish in them? Just kidding. Seriously, what do you do when there are spit up minnow and crawdad parts? They will get right nasty if you don’t clean it out.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

I pull out the chunks but I never wash /rinse it out...
    Greg Haberkorn (Habby)
    2018 Ranger Z521L
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS - 2B738680