Treble Hook Weight Listing - Does such a thing exist?

As I'm going through replacing/upgrading trebles on different baits, it's occurring to me how much money I end up spending on replacement trebles only to end up with with hooks that are too heavy/too light and screw up the action of a bait. I feel like I also spend an inordinate amount of time testing baits after replacing hooks trying to get them to run the way they did before, or in trying different hooks to get a bait to run differently than it did with stock hooks. If there was a quick reference for weights of different trebles, I feel like it would save a ton of time and money.

Is anyone aware of a spreadsheet or database that lists the weights of different trebles in different sizes?

The only thing I've ever come across is a listing that includes some JDM Owner and Gamakatsu models which I hesitate to rely on because many of the models aren't regular USDM hooks, much of it was in Japanese so I was not even sure what model hook I was looking at, and I know that there are occasionally differences in USDM and JDM hooks anyhow.

If there is not something out there, I'm seriously considering starting it. I don't have a ton of hooks on hand (more accurately: I don't know what a lot of the trebles I do have actually are), but it's got to start somewhere Would there be interest in collaborating on such a thing?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

2. Member
    I've never seen anything. I have 2 sets of scales, one for lures, and one for hooks. When balancing something as critical as jerkbaits, I need to know the weight of the hooks I'm installing.

3. Member
    Sounds like a great "Sticky " for this forum . People could post the weights of the hooks they have weighed and create a database for reference .

4. Moderator
    Heard of guys using heavier hooks on jerkbaits. But never heard of a hook weight chart.

The main catalyst for me wanting to know weights on different hooks is replacing hooks on jerkbaits and wakebaits trying to get them to keep their action, though there have been other times where it would've been handy as well. The latter has started the latest expensive testing session as I have a wake that's been getting blasted but I've been missing/losing probably half the fish that bite it. This all makes makes sense as I dig into it as the stock hook is a #4 2X EWG short shank Gamakatsu which is a small hook anyhow, plus the EWG bend and short shank just aren't good for sticking fish that don't get the bait well. I want to upsize without making run differently, especially without making it no longer wake, and trying to figure out the weight tradeoff of different choices of hooks is basically impossible without buying a bunch and weighing them. Just too many variables between different brands having different sized hooks within a size, different shank lengths, different wire diameters, different lengths of wire for different bends, etc.

The only thing that I feel like may make this tough from a collaboration perspective is having different guys with different scales post their weights. As small as weight differences between hooks can be, relatively speaking anyhow, I think it might be tough to make good comparisons without having the hooks all weighed on the same scale.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

6. Member
    What size wake bait? #4 seems like a very small hook on a wake bait. I would go to at least and #2 and maybe #1 Gamakatsu nano finesse hook. Should be close in weight and definitely a longer shaft.
    I'll see what I got similar and compare weights.

Owner ST-36 red Size 4 0.0229 oz
    Owner ST-35 Size 4 0.0320
    Unknown brand 2X Size 4= 0.0259
    Gammy G Finesse Size 4= 0.0155
    Gammy G Finesse Size 3= 0.0182
    Gammy G Finesse Size 2= 0.0226
    Gammy G Finesse Size 1= 0.0287
    Gammy G Finesse Size 1/0= 0.0372

Based on my unknown size 4 2X hook, you could go to the Gamy G finesse size 2 or size 1 and be very close, one slightly lighter and one slightly heavier.
    Also, if your wake bait is diving, cutting or grinding a slight amount off the bottom of the lip helps keep it up (providing it's a lipped wake bait.Only cut a max of 1/32nd off at a time. (1/8th is perfect for a 9" Slammer but smaller baits need a lot less taken off.)
    Last edited by John Jackson; 07-05-2021 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    What size wake bait? #4 seems like a very small hook on a wake bait. I would go to at least and #2 and maybe #1 Gamakatsu nano finesse hook. Should be close in weight and definitely a longer shaft.
    I'll see what I got similar and compare weights.
    This one in particular is a small mouse style bait, maybe 1 oz total weight. The hook doesn't look all that small on it as the bait is small, but it's a single treble and the wide gap style on it is a problem for good hookups anyhow. I actually asked the guy who makes them and he was pretty adamant that anything bigger will cause it not to wake. The top of my list to try was a Gamy Nano MH in #2 thinking that one would not be any heavier than a 2X #4. I'd also have a ton more confidence in that hook sticking them even absent the upsize, although maybe it wouldn't do as well keeping them pinned all else equal.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"