2007 200 Trailer issue

All,

Yesterday I had an unfortunate event happen on my ride home. It looks as if the front leaf spring on my dual axle 2007 SC (Stratos/Champion) brand trailer has failed. It isn't completely broken but it is almost flat and is not creating enough pressure to hold the equalizer in place. Resulting in my the rear tire rubbing on the top of the fender. Had to get a tow for the boat home (more on that below). So I am reaching out to the Champ family to see if anyone can help me with parts needed to change out the leaf springs and equalizers on both sides. Might as well do them all while I am at it.

** Highly recommend looking into getting coverage from Boat US, they offer both on the water tows as well as additional coverage for your trailer (extra $15 a year). I paid $700 for a 46 mile tow, they would have paid for it if I had the trailer/road side assistance coverage. ***

Thanks all,
    Taylor

I would think you could get what you need from Dexter axle or someplace like that. Were the 2007 trailers using UFP products? I know my 2001 unit did, but not sure about 2007.

3. Member
    Mark,

Thanks for your response. The swing away tongue is a UFP product. So I assume that is the case, hopefully someone with some experience on this will chime in.

thanks,
    Taylor

4. Member
    Checkout etrailers.com for parts

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Taylor, here is one of the threads I mentioned yesterday. Troy did his himself. You have to filter down through his responses but pretty sure he lists all the parts. (1) ChampioN Boat Owners : A couple of months ago I installed electric brakes on my Champ trailer | Facebook. Probably going to do mine one of these days, just hope I don't end up on the side of the road like someone I know. I've got a few rocker switch conversions to kick out before I can take the time to do it.

6. Member
    You the man, Reggie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Taylor, here is one of the threads I mentioned yesterday. Troy did his himself. You have to filter down through his responses but pretty sure he lists all the parts. (1) ChampioN Boat Owners : A couple of months ago I installed electric brakes on my Champ trailer | Facebook. Probably going to do mine one of these days, just hope I don't end up on the side of the road like someone I know. I've got a few rocker switch conversions to kick out before I can take the time to do it.

7. Member
    My 2007 trailer has UFP hubs, so I would assume other parts are too?

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bengiff206 View Post
    Yes sir

9. Member
    You can get 3500# leaf springs from a local trailer shop. What you need is an eye to eye measurement, and an arch measurement (basically stretch a string from eye to eye and measure from the string to the lowest point of the leaf spring arch)
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

10. Member
    Just replaced mine this spring, marine masters trailers in Tullahoma has what you need. Talk to Tammy, and your axles should say if they are ufp, mine where 07 200 ez loader trailer

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickCamilleri View Post
    You can get 3500# leaf springs from a local trailer shop. What you need is an eye to eye measurement, and an arch measurement (basically stretch a string from eye to eye and measure from the string to the lowest point of the leaf spring arch)
    I did the four on my 2006 several years ago. I did the springs with the 198 still on the trailer. It became evident in a hurry that the fenders would need to be removed to cut down on the profanity. Not a hard job, but youth helps. I also replaced all the bolts and equalizers with wet system parts. If I rember correctly, it is recomended that the U bolts also be changed as they require a tourc spec, and the bolts strech.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

12. Member
    You just need a new leaf spring? You could look up a s PO ring shop to have a duplicate made? I would assume you might need to take the old one with you. Or maybe need the opposite side one that isn't in bad shape. We have a place here south of Kansas City called general spring that does all sorts of custom stuff that might work. Hope that helps.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    I did the four on my 2006 several years ago. I did the springs with the 198 still on the trailer. It became evident in a hurry that the fenders would need to be removed to cut down on the profanity. Not a hard job, but youth helps. I also replaced all the bolts and equalizers with wet system parts. If I rember correctly, it is recomended that the U bolts also be changed as they require a tourc spec, and the bolts strech.
    I redid mine with the boat still on the trailer too. Replaced shocks and springs. Wasn't bad. The fenders did get in the way, but I had to drop the axel (used another jack to help with that) to get the shocks on, so I did the same for the leaf springs, used the jack to line everything back up. Reused the u-boltsfrom a buddy's trailer as i had a hell of a time finding the 5 inch ones here in Canada. I believe the torque is only 85-90 ft lbs, just enough the start bending the brackets.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bengiff206 View Post
    Yes, but certain items you can source locally (leaf springs, u bolts, hubs (10" for mine), brake pads bearings/races (the inner race is an oddball size L68110 not the L68111 that comes in most kits), seals skf 16657 or Timken 473317) etc