Garmin Strike 7CV Cable Question

So I accidentally severed the cable from the transducer to the viewing screen... I was able to twist the 4 wires back together, but havent had the boat back in the water to check all functions. It does power up and I can navigate through the screens in the menus. I can see the time and battery voltage etc.. Is this a viable fix or do I need a whole new transducer?
    Thanks in Advance...

Hey as long as your fix holds then that is all that matters.

For reliability sake you are going to want to either solder or butt connect all of the wiring back to their respective mating wires so the fix holds. I would then either shrink tube or electrical tape it.

It solely depends on your level of electrical proficiency.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

3. Member
    I can surely solder the connections... my worry was that I might not have full functionality... I thought the sonar part might be some special type wire that has the be in one piece for resistance reasons... I'm not sure...Thanks for the help!

4. Banned
    I had to do the exact same thing to a helix transducer. It surprisingly worked great this was a few years ago and still works as it should. I had my doubts but figured it was already broke so what the hell why not try

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman90 View Post
    I had to do the exact same thing to a helix transducer. It surprisingly worked great this was a few years ago and still works as it should. I had my doubts but figured it was already broke so what the hell why not try
    Well thats a good note.... Ill pull my tape job apart, solder and heat shrink all 4 wires and see what happens... Thanks!

6. Member
    Just an update... took the boat out last weekend and everything seems to be operating so far. I did fire up the Garmin here at the house the other day to have a look at something, and it gave a warning of a short at the transducer... I unseated and re-seated the data cable and no more warning, but it does have me concerned,,,
    1988 Bass Tacker Tournament Pro V17, 70 HP 2 stroke Mercury, Minn Kota Edge, Garmin 7CV (SOLD)
    2022 Bass Tracker Classic XL, 50HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota Edge, Garmin 93SV, Micro Anchor

It won't cause you any issues even if it is shorting at the Nav itself. The Nav sounds like it is intelligent enough to cut power coming from it in order to protect itself. If it continues to give you issues then you may have to replace the Xducer, but outside of that I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating