Trying to decide Slide in or 5th wheel

Hi all,

So I was about to pull the trigger on a slide in camper. I was looking at a Lance 825 to go into my 3500 SRW Durmax. But opted to hold off as it seems it is a lot of money compared to what I could get a 5th wheel for. I am legal to pull doubles up to 75'. I have a family of 4 and the lance would be crowded. I am tempted to just get a fifth wheel and pull the boat behind it. ( right now a 118c ranger, may get a 20'-21' in the next year or two) I know a lot of people do just that. I probably wont do more than a weekend trip. What is your guys experiences and opinions.. ?

2. Banned
    With a family of 4, I'd be looking at a smallish (sub 30 foot) fifth wheel with large holding tanks.

3. Member
    My wife and I have a Lance 825, works great for the 2 of us. For a family of 4, it might work for weekends. Longer trips, probably not so well. The 5th wheel would give you more room. But I can’t imagine towing a boat in addition to the trailer.

What I really like about the Lance is how well it works for short trips. Even if we’re only going to use the boat for the day, it’s nice to have the camper in the back of the truck, for a bathroom, some place to cook lunch or, just hang out in the heat/AC. No problem launching the boat with the camper in the back of the truck either (F350 SRW).

4. Member
    Ive got a 34' 5th wheel and just sold a TC. The TC is handy for short, quick trips, but we found the room and comfort in the 5er to be much more enjoyable. We hardly used the TC.

5. Member
    2 Tow vehicles. She tows the boat and I tow the camper.

6. Member
    I like the thought of a TC and the boat. However on those trips where you get rained in for a while, it will get real crowded, real quick, and while you can tent the kids, you are in ID and there may be places you don't want to risk that (bears/wolves/wx). If you are only going on weekend type trips, 2 vehicles, a 5th wheel and the boat sounds like the best solution. If it was just you and the wife, I'd lean toward the TC.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    2 Tow vehicles. She tows the boat and I tow the camper.
    We sometimes do that when we’re camping local. Saves the unhitching/hitching multiple times at the campground. The SUV is more maneuverable around the boat ramp too.