Fishing update from the last few weeks

Man been awhile Since I’ve posted any updates. So I’ve fished almost every weekend and had some good trips and some tougher trips all around lake in Southwest Iowa. Most of the baits That have been working are just normal early summer time tackle used. I have had some luck using big swim baits and glide baits something I normally haven’t done in years past. I have enjoyed learning how to fish those particular baits. I’ve also had luck fishing some area’s of hard bottom that i’ve identified with my graft. Normally I always search out structure of some sort but trying some new things and fishing different than years past…. I’m excited that my 11yr daughter as started to enjoy going with me and she is doing quite well!! Hopefully get to lake of 3 fires this weekend as I have a extra day off from work with the holiday weekend. Oh yeah been camping a lot too, man the campgrounds are packed up Lucky to have a spot already for the 4th…. Well I think so (probably going to be a zoo all weekend) LOL.

I haven’t hardly been out at all since I moved away from all you guys. I’ve had my boat in the water 3 times all year and not once since the beginning of May. I did get out once while in Oklahoma at the beginning of June. Caught them pretty good on a frog on that day.

I’d say that overall, my fishing has been nonexistent in 2021. Which hurts considering how good 2020 went for me. I am planning a trip for a week in Minnesota in September. We ought to catch them pretty good then so hopefully I’ll feel a little better and not feel like I live in a pity party anymore.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVE81 View Post
    I haven’t hardly been out at all since I moved away from all you guys. I’ve had my boat in the water 3 times all year and not once since the beginning of May. I did get out once while in Oklahoma at the beginning of June. Caught them pretty good on a frog on that day.

I’d say that overall, my fishing has been nonexistent in 2021. Which hurts considering how good 2020 went for me. I am planning a trip for a week in Minnesota in September. We ought to catch them pretty good then so hopefully I’ll feel a little better and not feel like I live in a pity party anymore.
    Oh that’s tough Steve I’m guessing you’re very busy with work and family stuff going on. I miss watching your videos. Your tournament one were my favorite.

4. Banned

wellllllllll you do live in Illinois now so it kind of is a perpetual pity party until you move back across the river

It’s mostly due to the lack of time to do any fishing. But Jake is right. This is an awful state to go to to try to catch a bass.

6. Member
    It’s mostly due to the lack of time to do any fishing. But Jake is right. This is an awful state to go to to try to catch a bass.
    Steve, if you get the chance, try fishing Newton Lake. I used to live in Illinois and my dad and I would take an annual trip south to fish Newton. It's a pretty small lake, but it's got some really nice bass in it and it's a power plant lake so you can fish it year round if you can stand the cold. I remember Zona did a fishing show there a few years ago during winter. Air temps were in the 20's I think but water temps were in the 70's or higher. I think it gets a decent amount of fishing pressure though.

Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Steve, if you get the chance, try fishing Newton Lake. I used to live in Illinois and my dad and I would take an annual trip south to fish Newton. It's a pretty small lake, but it's got some really nice bass in it and it's a power plant lake so you can fish it year round if you can stand the cold. I remember Zona did a fishing show there a few years ago during winter. Air temps were in the 20's I think but water temps were in the 70's or higher. I think it gets a decent amount of fishing pressure though.
    Will do! To be honest, I shouldn’t be so harsh on the fishing. I truly haven’t been out enough to give it an honest shake.