1975 Chrysler 90hp

I know it's not technically a Merc, so if not allowed Mod can delete. I was just wondering if anyone knew what lower units will fit this motor? I'm having a heck of a time finding info on it. Thank You.
    2002 Triton Tr-21 Merc 250 Pro XB OT430582

2. Member
    The boat/motor was given to my son due to impeller housing bolts being broken off. I've been drilling on them but that old stainless is hard as can be. At this point I think a different Lower Unit would be easier.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Going to be extremely difficult to find a gearcase for that engine, given it's age and that most that were sitting around to pilfer parts from ended up scrapped out a couple decades ago.

Even my archive parts catalog is about 4-5 years shy of that engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks for trying Don. I've been drilling away at it. I should have it back together today.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you have a really difficult time with it, you might check with a Machine Shop. Many of them have some really-high quality bits and can drill those out for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I managed to get them out. Ended up drilling with pneumatic drill. It was only thing small enough to get straight on. A couple tips in case anyone else has to do it. I went to a local tool store that sells all high end tools. I bought a couple cobalt bits that started small and worked up. So my tips are.. Get a good center punch and try to be perfect when punching. Then I learned a fair amount of pressure, good cutting oil, and a start stop method at very low rpm will chew right through the stainless. Once I was through I used a left hand drill bit and good penetrating lube to extract the bolts. Yes it was a PITA.. I hope this helps someone else some day.