VA Temp rating after Knee replacement surgery

I need a TKR on my knees which are both service connected. I have heard all kinds of different stories on temp 100% from 3 months to 12. Does anyone have the real info? Thanks!

2. Member
    Left Knee only 100% for 12 months . Then 30% permanent.
    Used DAV to help me Not sure of rules or if 2 knees different/
    3 years ago Vietnam Vet injured in Vietnam.
    Last edited by Zx175Bassman; 06-29-2021 at 03:51 PM. Reason: more info

Same rules either knee or both. If you're already at 100% you won't see a difference. If not you'll get a big check for twelve months. See your local VSO if you need to do the paperwork. Have them start the process before you get the surgery if you're not at 100%.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

4. Member
    Thanks for the replys. I am not at 100%. I plan on getting my right knee done first (worse one) then maybe 18 months later getting the left one done. My body is telling me it's time! The VA wanted me to wait until I was like 80 to get them done! I am having a private surgeon do them.

When I retired from AD in 2013 they told me the same surgery was in my future. I'll be 57 this year and my left knee is telling me it's almost time.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Meant to add, if you're doing one and then the other file your claims accordingly after each surgery that'll keep you at 100% for awhile. Also, after the 12 months following the first surgery when that drops to 30% for the one knee, that might push your overall rating to 100%.

I didn't ask, but are you retired from the military? If so that can also make a change to your bank account as you may be eligible for CRDP.
    2016 Nitro Z21

7. Member
    Yes! I am retired from the Air Force. I am currently at 50%. Hopefully after these surgeries I can get a little higher. I sure could use the $.

8. Member
    in 2019 had my right ankle replaced and received 100% for 13 months i think. then i had a cyst and it did not hold so have my second one performed. with the second one went back on 100% temp. the not so funny thing is that it is only rated at 20% now after 3 surgeries.
    David Latham