Thread: Johnny Morris

Johnny Morris

I took this from my wife’s FB. Didn’t know if anyone knew anything about this?

Supposedly, the owner of Bass Pro Shops is buying up property in the Welaka area. Bought many houses for more than asking price and then tearing them down. I came into the tail end of the conversation with one of the contractors doing the work. Buiding something big. Gonna try to find out more info. Also I was going north on 315 the other day and on the north side of 100 there is a piece of property on the west side of 315 that has a real nice entrance gate and wooded are then an open field. The open field had alot of equipment there like they were starting a development. I don't know what is going on there.

2. Member
    Most likely a new Bass Pro Shop.

3. Member
    Go to the lounge I posted an article from the Palatka daily news! It’s not a BP

He has bought several, mostly along Maxwell street. Between his place and the canal.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

5. Member
    : WELAKA – Growth is happening in this South Putnam community nestled along the banks of the St. Johns River.

Rapid growth. Spectacular growth, perhaps.

It’s evident in a new subdivision off Elm Street – St. Johns River Hill, where 18 new homes are under construction and building permits have been requested for 14 more.

“It’s the largest building project we’ve had in at least 20 years,” Welaka Mayor Jamie Watts said following Tuesday night’s Town Council meeting. Conservatively estimating, Watts said the new development will add more than $4 million to the town’s value and additional revenue.

Growth is also evident in the recent sale of thousands of acres in the area, which could bring exponential growth.

Watts said he has word that Johnny Morris, Bass Pro Shops founder and CEO, has plans for a development near the private Floridian Sports Club that Morris owns off County Road 309.

The plans are yet undisclosed by Morris. Bass Pro Shops did not return a request for comment from the Palatka Daily News by 6 p.m. Wednesday.

The Putnam County Property Appraiser’s Office said it has recorded data of sales transfers between St. Johns Trading Co. and Floridian Holdings. Property Appraiser Tim Parker said a January transaction from St. Johns Trading Co. Inc. to Floridian Holdings LLC was for $12,531,700 and contained 3,808.83 acres.

Parker said Floridian LLC and Down by the River LLC have purchased additional property in the area.

Construction equipment was in view in an area behind the Floridian Sports Club on Tuesday, with land cleared near the river.

Watts said he doesn’t know of any firm plans for the properties, but only what he has heard in the community and rumors.

“My understanding is that it’s going to be a fishing lodge with 21 full-time fishing guides,” Watts said. “I don’t know what’s going to be done beyond that. I understand (Morris) purchased an additional 3,000 acres down there and they’ve expanded out the size of the property significantly.”

Morris developed Big Cedar Lodge near Branson, Missouri, purchasing the property in 1987. Today, the wilderness resort is spread out over 4,600 acres. The company’s website terms it as the “No. 1 resort in the Midwest.”

Like Watts, Putnam County Chamber of Commerce President Dana Jones said she has heard talk of what the development could be but was unaware of any details.

“I do know there are a lot of positive things happening and that (development) could potentially be one more,” Jones said. “It’s good to see a lot of things going on, a lot of investments. That’s exciting news and we’re hoping for something to help us gather more tourism.”

Parker said Wednesday the property remains classified as agricultural.

“There have been quite a few properties purchased down there, with some being demolished and leveled,” Parker said. “We expect at some point improvements will be made.”

Watts said Welaka is primed for healthy growth, but he also wants to see it retain its small-town charm.

Since taking the reigns as the Welaka mayor in March, Watts has made it a priority to update town ordinances in multiple areas.

He said additional homes mean a wider tax base but will also require additional infrastructure.

Century Communities signs dot the entrance of River Hill. Century Complete, the builder and a brand of Century Communities, said the River Hill properties are from the high $100,000 price range and are composed of 66 single-family homes now available for purchase online.

Greg Huff, president of Century Complete, said the company was attracted to Welaka after seeing a high demand for new homes in the area.

"North Florida is a significant draw for buyers looking to purchase an affordable new home in a scenic location with abundant area amenities," Huff said.

Watts said the additional new homes make updating ordinances and zoning codes a priority.

“It’s important that they get updated as quickly as possible,” Watts said. “We have to make sure our current ordinances are meeting the needs of the growth of the community. It’s a big challenge. I want the council involved and the residents, because it’s their town, too.”

Watts said the Putnam County Property Appraiser Office’s estimate of the town’s total assessed value increased nearly $3 million to $63 million from 2020 to 2021. He said the River Hill development could push that total closer to $68 million by 2022.

And that’s not including what the expansion of the Floridian property might create.

“It would give us the ability to showcase the town of Welaka to the world, whether it’s fishing or hunting,” Watts said of the potential development.

“The group of people that would be coming here would be avid sportsmen. It would allow us to show all of the beauty we have here in town.”