Thread: Roofing costs?

Roofing costs?

Like a ball park of re roofing costs around my area,
    Tear off, and some decking replaced.
    Per sq, per yard?
    Hail storm did a number on it.
    Like to get some numbers here, so I don't have sticker shock, when the roofer comes by,
    with his bid.
    Thx

2. Member
    First, check with your homeowners insurance agent as hail damage can be grounds for a claim.

I just had mine done. $310 per square ( 10x10 or basically 100 sqft of roof is a square). I have a steep roof so maybe a bit of premium as the guys were working on ropes due to te grade.

Tear off, minor decking, ice shield in the valleys, new drip edge all around, architectural shingle, ridge vent and upgraded underlayment.

3. Member
    Around here $50-$75 per square (100 SQ ft) to tear off and the same for new shingles installed.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

"Haulin' Ass and Chasin' Bass"

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rude150 View Post
    Like a ball park of re roofing costs around my area,
    Tear off, and some decking replaced.
    Per sq, per yard?
    Hail storm did a number on it.
    Like to get some numbers here, so I don't have sticker shock, when the roofer comes by,
    with his bid.
    Thx
    If hail damage get your insurance to come look at it. Might replace for free or just deductible depending on amount of damage.

5. Member
    I had one roofer tell me I had some hail damage. My agent told me my insurer wouldn't hold it against me if I don't take the check. I have a $2500 deductible, and still got a check for $14k. I've had estimates for a steel roof from $31-41k on a 56 square roof.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

6. Member
    Last edited by tj; 05-20-2022 at 09:34 AM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

7. Member
    Just had a total tear off and asphalt replacement. $14,300. Asked about steel….$41,000…nope. I think we were at 32 squares

I just had my roof done a couple of weeks ago on my raised ranch with 2 car attached garage: $11k. Had all soffit replace with new metal covering the fascia by the same company: $3400. New gutters from a gutter installer: $1700. At 60yo, I'm hoping that the next time I need a new roof, etc, it won't be my problem.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

A friend had 17 sq done with tear off including shingles 4000.00
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

10. Member
    Central OH. Should be approx. $50 per sq. for every sq. removed or installed. plus cost of materials. Ex.--30 sq., 2layer tear-off=90 sq. total labor times $50--$4500.00. Materials around $150/sq.=$4500.00 TOTAL=$9000.00

11. Member
    Getting new roof at lakehouse. 54 squares for 15 large. Cost will increase as some of the roof sheathing will need replacing and with the price of wood............who knows.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbuchmann View Post
    Around here $50-$75 per square (100 SQ ft) to tear off and the same for new shingles installed.
    That is a 1993 price. Today, depends on the pitch and complexity of the roof. North of $300/square. You can't buy the shingles for $75 a square today.

What’s amazing is the difference in quotes if it’s insurance or paying on your own. Was a 10k difference for a recent denied hail claim. 25k bill to the insurance company…15k if I did it on my own. There are some ripoff artists in the industry.

14. Member
    My insurance adjuster has been out, and we have a check on the way.
    Roofing contractor that our agent recommended has been on the roof, also.
    Im just wondering how much difference, if any, between what insurance is paying us,
    vs what the contractor will bid.

i don't know the sq ft of my roof, yet.
    Thx for the info.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbuchmann View Post
    The company that buys the shingles pays more than 50-75 per square just for the shingles. Then they mark it up, and sell it to the roofer who marks it up and installs them for you. At those prices a nice shiny nickel would probably be a nice tip for the workers in that time period.

16. Member
    Just got an estimate today. approx 1200 square feet of roof, several sections, lots of flashing, etc. 25 year GAF shingles, all new 5in gutters and downspouts, replace a metal portico roof for 17k. 70 dollars a sheet to replace any bad plywood. I have another estimate coming tomorrow.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

17. Member
    I received Project Estimate from the Insurance company (and first check). After selecting one contractor for house shingle roof, some house siding, plus some other things, gave copy of estimate to the contractor company. I paid contractor first check amount and got copy of their insurance policy.
    The contractor company did not make a detailed estimate; they used the insurance estimate, and if they noticed some things that needed price adjusted; contractor talked to insurance claim adjusters (not me). Also if insurance estimate missed something (I found 1 window with a crack in it), I reported it to insurance adjusters, and they wrote up a revised estimate (with another check in the mail for the new found items). When the whole job was finished, got final check from the insurance company; and before paying the contractor the final check, I got a materials lien waver. Only cost me my $250 deductible.
    The contractor I chose used 3 subcontractors for all the work:
    1 crew for all shingle roof work,
    1 crew for metal roof replacement on a shed and replace steel siding on house,
    and local glass company for broken window repair.
    Last edited by tj; 06-29-2021 at 05:30 PM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

18. Member
    Well im gonna pray for a hail storm or something soon.

19. Member
    Around here roofs are a bigger insurance scam than car body work. Find yourself a roofing broker who will bat the insurance ball back and forth with the roofers and the insurance company and after everyone gets their cut and kickbacks you will get a free roof.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire