2016 Nitro Z21 clear coat scratches

I have a Z21 and there are a few small scratches and abrasions that I want to remove. I have done this on older boats of other brands. I started with 600 wet sand paper rubbing lightly to make sure it didn’t remove too much material, too fast. The scratch could barely be felt with you finger nail. Within a couple minutes, the scratch was still visible but I noticed what I thought was a discoloration of the red flake. Does anyone have any knowledge regarding the clear coat thickness. If what I suspect is right, I wonder if there was more than one coat of clear coat applied at the factory.

Thanks for any informed answers.

2. Member
    I'm not sure how many coats of clear are applied at the factory, but 600 grit seems a little aggressive for the sand paper. Back when I was involved in fiberglass trucks cap manufacturing, which was a base clear coat paint process, scratches were usually wet sanded with finer (1,000 grit or higher) sandpaper then followed up with some buffing compound then polish.

3. Member
    if your flake started to turn silver, you went through the clear gel. They're not putting near as much clear on boats nowadays as the older ones. When all these newer boats get eaten up with oxidation, they won't be able to be wet sanded and buffed.

4. Member
    Thanks for the responses. I am incredibly disappointed with the amount of clear coat on this hull. To fix even the smallest scratch is difficult if not impossible. Anyone have a contact at Nitro that may be able to provide insight?
    Thanks again.

5. Member
    I've never had any problems going through the clear when repairing Nitro's. Generally if you can feel a scratch with your fingernail, you can't sand it out. You can sand it lightly and brush on some clear gel with wax into the scratch, then sand and buff it out. Skeeters and Blazers have extremely thin clear gel on them.

6. Member
    To fix your current repair you are going to need: clear gel coat, hardener, Styrene, wax, sandpaper in (400,1000,2000 grit), Preval type sprayer. You can source the gel coat from U.S. Composites. You will need flake material from Nitro and you have to buy a bag of it big enough to do your boat and that will run you about sixty dollars. You will also need a buffer and the compounds to buff your repair area out after you wet sand it with the above mentioned sand paper. You are going to have to sand through your now dull flake, spray a layer of gel, blow from a spoon some flake on the gel, let it kick, spray another coat of gel, let it kick, spray another layer of gel w/wax(so it will harden) and let it kick. Now you can sand away the alligator skin finish you are looking at due to using the preval spray set up vs. a real spray gun, when it is smooth go to 1,000 then 2,000 grit and finally buff it out. You will discover that the flake is what gives your boat its color. Find some you tube videos on doing the work with the preval spray set up and you will be good to go
    C

7. Member
    Thanks for the information. I have most of the issue resolved and the responses have filled in any remaining blanks.
    Very much appreciate you sharing information.