Thread: Hook?

Hook?

What is your favorite hook for the 10.5 " zoom ole monster worm? I have one i make that is a lot like the zoom & had the bait keep slipping down easier than i cared for so what would be a good hook to keep them in place? Thanks

I tend to tie on a 5/0 Gamakatsu offset round bend. When it starts slipping down, I cut off 1/4"

I like a 5/0 trokar finesse worm straight shank hook (has the plastic keeper) (don't let the "finesse" word deter you it has decent backbone)
    Also for heavy cover or if at a fishery with larger fish the 4/0-5/0 hayabusa straight shank worm hook is my preference. Comes in a thicker gauge HD version as well. The regular one is stout though. For the Hayabusa you will do better with a heavier rod than the trokar. You can go a little softer on the trokar since its a thinner gauge it'll penetrate easier and you won't have to worry about straightening it out
    Last edited by white gambler; 06-29-2021 at 10:43 AM.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

4. Member
    You could try an Owner hook with the CPS twist-lock. They make several variations (EWG, round bend, Beast). They work great for paddle tail swimbaits and I don't see why they wouldn't work well for a big worm. If the body of the worm is big enough, purchase a pack of the large size CPS twist-locks and use those instead of the medium sized ones that come standard on the hooks. It just gives more "biting" power to the CPS twistlock and keeps your soft plastic attached even better.

5. Member
    Thanks guys.

6. Member
    5/0 hayabusa fpp straight shank

7. Member
    5/0 VMC.

8. Member
    4/0 offset round bend.

9. Member
    Round bend hooks work for me with worm fishing.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

10. Member
    Interesting question. I've tried a few things. Owner twist on shank hooks good. Some hooks have a barb on them too. I try to keep the hook eye out so the sinker hits that and not the worm. I wanna get some old tru turn hooks on ebay but don't see me worming much in the future.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

11. Member
    I use to use the old truturns.

5/0 Gamy Superline EWG, 5/0 Owner Twistlock Open Gap are the two I gravitate toward. I've also had luck with a 4/0 straight shank that I'd normally use to flip for thicker bodied big worms like the BBB Kriet tail 10". Surprisingly good hookup ratio with the perpendicular hook point angle relative to an EWG style. I don't think that's nearly the concern in the Ole Monster or Berkley 10" worms that are thin bodied, and probably would be a lot more trouble than its worth due to additional issues with fouling and/or snagging that arise for exactly the same reason it hooks up better.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

13. Member
    I don't fish the Ol' Monster, but I do throw the 10 and 12" power worms. I use any 5/0 offset worm hook, but I'll use a wacky O ring on the head of the worm behind the first or second rib that seems to help hold it in place
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

14. Member

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    I don't fish the Ol' Monster, but I do throw the 10 and 12" power worms. I use any 5/0 offset worm hook, but I'll use a wacky O ring on the head of the worm behind the first or second rib that seems to help hold it in place
    Actually it's not the ole monster at all. It's a worm i'm making myself in the fatguys fishing 11" smoothy ribbon tail worm mold & it doesn't have any ribs. I just need to use a hook with a wider spaced holder section because they're sure ain't a thing wrong with the worm itself. I've smoked them the last 2 weekends on it.