Thread: Lake Oneida

Lake Oneida

Hey Guys it is that time again,going up for four days after the 4th and was wondering what the Small mouth fishing has been like lately. Figured they be postspawn maybe on the feed. Any info would be great.Thanks Steve M

2. Member
    Quality of fish is improving year by year. I've had more fish over the 4lb mark in the last year than the previous five combined. You may not have a day where you bag 30 fish but if you get 5-10, at least a few will be good.

3. Member
    Like said above, quantity has been slowly decreasing over the past 10 years or so. Quality is increasing. It’s the same trend that Lake Ontario went through in the mid 2000s when the gobies came in. I would imagine they’d be all post spawn but fishing Onondaga this past weekend we saw fish on beds. Water temp only went up 2 deg since the end of may.

For reference, it’s Oneida Lake.. If you say lake Oneida you might get a few local guys laughing
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    Bite been on off .. been having better luck deep…
    been getting few shallow… but on the smaller side

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

5. Member
    Yea the fishing is definitely changing, but I’ve caught 3 or 4 of my biggest Oneida smallies this year. They seem to be on pretty specific stuff so it’s usually a good idea to keep moving until you figure something out

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph44 View Post
    Bite been on off .. been having better luck deep…
    been getting few shallow… but on the smaller side
    Hey Murph,

How hot do you guess Oneida will get if we keep having low water and hot weather like this?
    Man, this is a double whammy everywhere.

7. Member
    Think last yr was 80 give or take .. might have seen 82….

Mercury Pro Team

250 Opti Max Pro XS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph44 View Post
    Think last yr was 80 give or take .. might have seen 82….
    Tha just shuts down the fish feeding. I notice it with my pond bass that when the water tem get in the upper 80, they don't eat as much, but my kois don't mind it as much.

Friend of mine who has a lakehouse on Oneida had a really awesome morning fishing top water baits this morning. Him and his wife caught 15 or so bass in a few early morning hours, and many were 4 to 5 pounders.

Also said he could go back to the same spots later in the afternoon and not get one bite...timing seems to be everything on this lake.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

10. Member
    Maybe I am fishing but, I saw a video on utube with a guy and son leaving a dock in their boat that seemed to be way up a creek channel with docks ans trees and such and then went out in main lake it was notthe river canel up the I81 bridge (I dont think) looked like a pretty nice fishing spot but I havenever found it Any hints guys?

11. Banned
    Maybe it was Chittenago creek? Sounds like it. Maple bay area.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlewis10 View Post
    Friend of mine who has a lakehouse on Oneida had a really awesome morning fishing top water baits this morning. Him and his wife caught 15 or so bass in a few early morning hours, and many were 4 to 5 pounders.

Also said he could go back to the same spots later in the afternoon and not get one bite...timing seems to be everything on this lake.
    Tell him to try the same spot very late afternoon or early evening once the sun rays change angle as it starts going down. Summer months, early mornings and evenings seem to be the most productive.

13. Member
    I’ve see it clear one day and green over the next … and the fishing was just as good .. it’s just the surface ..

Mercury Pro Team

250 Opti Max Pro XS

14. Member
    It's Oneida Lake lol