Tracker Pro 16 or 12' Yacht Tender, That Is The Question!

I am moving, and fresh water lakes are few and far between. Salt (large bay and ocean) is within 5 miles. Of course in the salt I will be dealing with tides and the normal salt corrosion issues. I am getting older as well and wrestling a boat is not as much fun as it used to be...
    Here is the thing:
    I picked up a yacht tender, a very nice 12' RIB, with a newer 40 Honda 4 stroke for cheap from my BIL, to swap the engine on to my Tracker Pro 16, which has a 2 stroke 40 on it that has been used a fair amount.
    Took the yacht tender out, and really enjoyed it! Easy to handle both on the water and at the dock, fast, and like a little cork in some of the rougher stuff I took it in. It IS small though. I am now thinking of parting with the Tracker and keeping the RIB. It has proven to be a tough decision and I have gone back and forth a bunch. I do not want to keep both.
    The RIB is nearly un sinkable, and is a salt water boat as it sits. While I am aware of the corrosion issues related to the Tracker, I am comfortable with changing out components either as they corrode or up front. I have the Tracker set up the way I want, and it has plenty of room for the style of fishing I do.
    Do I go with the buoyant, easy to handle RIB, or swap motors and use the Tracker in the salt? Or sell both and get a flats boat?

2. Member
    I regularly hit the Chesapeake Bay and offshore, as well as rivers and lakes. I had my aluminum boat built specifically for it with a number of anti corrosion features. But I would worry less about corrosion than safety. I guess the Tracker would be OK in clam water, but I would be concerned about it if the the weather turned. The Chesapeake can go from flat to 2’ waves very fast if the wind picks up. With the RIB, that’s not a problem. I know a few that have taken RIBs pretty far offshore without an issue. In a Tracker though, they start to pound in pretty small waves. Not good if it gets rough.