Thread: Motor support

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    The boat and trailer do not move in unison. No matter how tight you tie it down, there will always be some movement. Your transom does not need to be supported unless it is an old style exposed plywood transom.

This is a long debated topic. I am an advocate for the Motormate style motor support. The bottom line though is there have been very very few failures of any kind with modern transoms, no matter the type of support. Pick the one you like and use it.
    You know seeing this comment amongst others that I've seen before makes me wonder if my 60HP motor which weighs an anemic 252 lbs with an additional 45lbs of jack plate on the transom needs to be tied down with a transom saver at all.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

2. Member
    Can someone elaborate on the importance of the motor mount bushing and its role in this conversation? When the transom is under load while in the water, I believe the bushing help absorb some of the stress. Now, when the motor is out and stowed with a traditional “transom” saver, where does the shock/stress go while trailering? Leaf springs? This may be totally irrelevant but I think it can help narrow the cause.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12