Going to Smaller Tires - 4.8 x 12 vs. 4.8 x 8

Insight requested. I'm actually thinking about switching out my tires from 4.8 x 12" diameter to 4.8 x 8". CRAZY?

Every time I see a jetski, utility, small jonny trailer with them on, makes me cringe. Especially if they're booking down the interstate.

Now, I'm in a predicament. Towing with a small crossover (VW Tiguan) and my bare naked Carolina Skiff J16 sits very high. Complete rig/trailer/boat/gear is most likely under 1K pounds. The ramps here are good, but having to back waaaaay down to the point that my vehicle wheels are getting wet and my goal is to alleviate it with the smaller trailer tires.

Thoughts? It will get the hull 4" lower in the water right? = not having to back down as far???

Next --- changing the hitch. Currently using a 2" inch drop hitch, but have it reversed with the ball on the upper side so its now 2" higher and actually has the boat level with the vehicle. Still requiring me to go deep in the water to get it to launch.

Another thought before buying new/smaller tires is to go to a 6 inch drop, but reverse it so the tongue would be higher and put the boat at a slight bow high angle when towed.

Distance to the ramp is 15 miles.

THOUGHTS.... pretty please

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You’ll only drop it 2”, not 4”. On a typical ramp, that would be 1 foot further up the ramp when you launch.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member

What he said.
    That said, sometimes that 'foot' can be an advantage. As long as the load rating is good the 'little' tires will be fine. Maybe have to pack bearings more often as they spin more.

4. Member
    Watch your tire wear, those smaller dia tires go around many more times for the distance traveled and wear faster; plus they will run hotter for the same load.

5. Member
    Much obliged. Looks like that will be a no-brainer.

Sorry with the ignorant question..... but 1' further up the ramp means = that is 1' less distance I'll have to back down? If so, its not a lot as these ramps are super shallow with little drop off.

Please keep sharing the info.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdoubledog View Post
    Much obliged. Looks like that will be a no-brainer.

Sorry with the ignorant question..... but 1' further up the ramp means = that is 1' less distance I'll have to back down? If so, its not a lot as these ramps are super shallow with little drop off.

Please keep sharing the info.
    Yes. You’ll be 1ft further out of the water with the tow vehicle.

Just be sure your tires and wheels can handle your weight.
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Will do.

FACT - I've got to buy new galvanized wheels anyhow for salt use and was strongly debating about the smaller size (done deal in my mind), but would naturally prefer to stick with the larger size. Was talking to my buddy and he suggested going with an extended ball mount insert and make it at least 6" drop.

Sure wish someone was closer that had a hitch to loan for a trip.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I don’t think messing with the hitch will help as much as you think.
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    My solution would be to extend the trailer tongue and keep the bigger tires.

10. Member
    The 8” trailer tires can be had in load range “E’ rating. They are rated for 85 psi inflation. I do not know where to get them, but I have them on my smoker trailer (formerly jet ski trailer)

Quote Originally Posted by motobuffy View Post
    My solution would be to extend the trailer tongue and keep the bigger tires.
    This gets my vote, buy another tongue about 18-22 " longer or have a good shop weld on an extension and keep the bigger tires.
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

12. Member
    Thoughts on this? It will extend the trailer 18" keeping my vehicle wheels out of the saltwater hopefully.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapt...rt/C45796.html

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdoubledog View Post
    Thoughts on this? It will extend the trailer 18" keeping my vehicle wheels out of the saltwater hopefully.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapt...rt/C45796.html

Maybe. What is it rated and how does it de-rate your tow vehicle hitch?
    nothing else matters.​

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    If you do something like this, be aware that uneven ground, like a steep entry to a gas station or driveway, may result in the trailer or hitch scraping.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Correct and good point (your post actually forced me to research more) and thank you-! I believe that one post saved my bacon and $20 from Harbor Freight tomorrow.
    My quick research at Etrailer.com stated about reducing tongue weight, didn't show anything about reducing the towing capacity, BUT after reading your post, I dug further and it was clear.
    Again, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by motobuffy View Post
    If you do something like this, be aware that uneven ground, like a steep entry to a gas station or driveway, may result in the trailer or hitch scraping.
    Good point. At this stage, I've got nothing. And will most likely have to just resort to smaller tires. (Smaller tires, gain me 2" which is almost perfect to float off... every little bit helps)

Other options:
    Putting the axle on top of the springs and keeping the 12" tires = no-go. Not enough fender clearance. Will consider it with the smaller tires. That would gain me another 2" + the 2" with the tires would be perfect.

Lowering the bunks:
    Would require relocating the front crossmember to go under the frame. In doing so, will have to get longer front bunk mounts as the ones installed don't have enough travel. That would gain me another 4" for a total of 8.

Appreciate the feedback and looks like smaller tires and an axle flip it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Member
    Move the fenders, flip the axle. Buy a truck.

17. Member
    Update.

Neighbor just happened to have a 12" drop, that got flipped and made into a 12" lift. Tested it out Friday and if anything, it aggravated the situation (didn't someone mention it would). Looking at the picture with the rig & car, the trailer doesn't look to be at a bad angle, but it is. The closeup makes the tongue look like it has a slight bend. Either way, it was a free test that didn't work out.

Plans:
    Got some bunk adjusting to do and some galvanized hardware to buy as I plan on lowering them as much as possible to avoid going with smaller tires. Lowering them will get me 4+ inches which should be almost perfect.

More to follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images