RT188 price (used)

Looking into getting an aluminum rig as my first boat. What would be a fair price on a used RT188 with a 115 merc in good condition with an ultrex? Is this boat pretty stable in the water? Does it blow around bad? Any issues with welds breaking?

2. Member
    They make or made a great boat....now BPS has them. They have been selling them from about 2012 so prices will be all over the map. They fish from the front deck like a 20 ft. Boat as far a width and space and they are very stable. Most all owners love them and there are a lot of owners out there now. You never really see an owner that is not happy with it -- well, maybe the rare one or two but surely not many.. I see at least couple of RTs every time I go out. I love mine and don't want anything else.

To answer your question, I think if you could get a good one for about 15K - 17K without Ultrex - depending on trolling motor and electronics that you would have a decent deal and get your money back if you take care of it.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

The RT188 is a good fishing platform and the design features evolved over the first few years to a point where the 2016 to 2019 is a very desirable boat.
    Here’s why I prefer those year models:
    2016 models forward added the following design features:
    1) Fully painted side panels and improved paint process. There were a lot of paint claims on the 2013/2014 models.
    2) option for a 4 inch setback or hydraulic jack plate.
    3) option for step up to the front deck.
    4) improved livewell features: recirculate and pump out.
    5) The trailer was redesigned in 2015 to eliminate some design weaknesses. This is now a great trailer.
    I am not sure when the coin box replacement for center seat came in but that is a great feature.

I stopped at 2019 because I am not sure when the Johnny Morris changes started showing up.
    There are two things that concern me about the JM changes:
    1) The trailer - JM changed it from the good Ranger channel trailer to the traditional Tracker box beam. You can build a case for either but I have owned boats and trailers for close to 50 years and have owned both designs and my preference is channel.
    2) The Hull design - The Ranger hull was based in part on the Earl Benz designed Triton Magnum hull with the extruded aluminum center keel and drawn strengthing ribs. JM had to make the hull design similar to the Tracker 190 so it fit into his robot welding and automated manufacturing process. The center keel and drawn ribs are gone.

My pricing is close to FloridaFlyer’s but with two 10 inch graphs, Ultrex and a four stroke I would go to 19K in excellent condition with low hours.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    I would only add that the price will depend on location in the Country. Some States have far more dealers than others and therefore much more availability on the used market. I considered selling mine this season and watch two in my State sell north of $22k.

5. Member
    What Bill Reynolds said. My Opti only has 95 hours, so mine would go for 20k.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8theB8 View Post
    I would only add that the price will depend on location in the Country. Some States have far more dealers than others and therefore much more availability on the used market. I considered selling mine this season and watch two in my State sell north of $22k.
    You are so right. Finding a used 178 with a 90 is going to be 15-20k in the Northwest....most used 188's are more like 18-22k in good shape, equipped nicely. Aluminum boats are hot right now and availability is low in many areas. I am sure this is true in other parts of the country as well....
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

7. Member
    A 178 with a 90? I thought the max on a 178 was 75hp?
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

8. Member
    I just picked up a barely used 2015 rt178 for $12k

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    What Bill Reynolds said. My Opti only has 95 hours, so mine would go for 20k.

A 2015 with 90 hours? I think you need to fish more

10. Member
    It is.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    A 178 with a 90? I thought the max on a 178 was 75hp?

11. Member
    Yeah, just retired last year and been doing a bunch of Hog Hunting. My other hobby is reloading for 9 rifle and 7 pistol calibers, so I spend a lot of time on the range.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ReefOctopus View Post
    A 2015 with 90 hours? I think you need to fish more
    Ahhh, but maybe his trolling motor has 4300 hours

13. Member
    About a year ago I decided to sell my FG Ranger and go aluminum. I was surprised at the prices. I look on every boat for sale site I could find. I was willing to drive a ways if the prices was right. I would look every day, all over the South / South East on Craig's list because if it was a good deal it did not last long. Finally found a great deal 7 hours away. 2015 RT 188 w/ 115 2 stroke Omax (220 hours). It had the Hooks and a Edge TM. But, I got it for 14k and the owner drove and met me and saved me 4 hrs on my round trip. I have since put an Ultrex, new machines and over 100 hrs on it with zero issues. Keep looking, the deals are out there.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

14. Member
    Some of you are getting FANTASTIC buys not he RT's. I'm with Bill, I doubt I'd take less than 20K. Mine was right at 30K new. They vary greatly in price depending on how the boat was originally ordered, platinum warranties, and of course taxes in different states.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlFedAngler View Post
    About a year ago I decided to sell my FG Ranger and go aluminum. I was surprised at the prices. I look on every boat for sale site I could find. I was willing to drive a ways if the prices was right. I would look every day, all over the South / South East on Craig's list because if it was a good deal it did not last long. Finally found a great deal 7 hours away. 2015 RT 188 w/ 115 2 stroke Omax (220 hours). It had the Hooks and a Edge TM. But, I got it for 14k and the owner drove and met me and saved me 4 hrs on my round trip. I have since put an Ultrex, new machines and over 100 hrs on it with zero issues. Keep looking, the deals are out there.
    This is exactly why I said this in my earlier post......

"To answer your question, I think if you could get a good one for about 15K - 17K without Ultrex - depending on trolling motor and electronics that you would have a decent deal and get your money back if you take care of it."

People that own boats like some replies usually think their boat is worth more than it is. Just because you paid xxx for a graph or some other accessory does not mean it is worth much after it is a year or two old. Just because you list it or think it is worth xxx doesn't mean somebody will pay that. It also has to do with what a bank will loan on it. A lot of people looking for a used boat can't pay cash.

Do like this man did and look for a decent deal.. they are out there.
    RT188

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    This is exactly why I said this in my earlier post......

"To answer your question, I think if you could get a good one for about 15K - 17K without Ultrex - depending on trolling motor and electronics that you would have a decent deal and get your money back if you take care of it."

People that own boats like some replies usually think their boat is worth more than it is. Just because you paid xxx for a graph or some other accessory does not mean it is worth much after it is a year or two old. Just because you list it or think it is worth xxx doesn't mean somebody will pay that. It also has to do with what a bank will loan on it. A lot of people looking for a used boat can't pay cash.

Do like this man did and look for a decent deal.. they are out there.
    Also, the graphs I purchased (3 - Elite TI2 9's) were used ones I found here (on BBC) and the Ultrex was used, I found on Craig's List. All still working fine months later. All of these were about half price of new ones.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlFedAngler View Post
    Also, the graphs I purchased (3 - Elite TI2 9's) were used ones I found here (on BBC) and the Ultrex was used, I found on Craig's List. All still working fine months later. All of these were about half price of new ones.
    Good on ya...that's what I was talking about. These graphs and other accessories change so fast that whatever is on a used boat is not worth a lot after a couple of years --- EXCEPT to the guy that owns and uses it.

I kept my old graphs and transducers. If I trade or sell this boat, I will probably pull the good graphs off and keep them and put the old ones which still work back on the boat.

Same goes with my Ultrex. I kept my old TM... and will reinstall it for sale or trade. I do look at the Ultrex a little differently though in my personal view. I would pay a "little" premium for the Ultrex on a used boat because if I bought a used boat the first thing I would do is put on an Ultrex so if it had one I would save some money.. it is not outdated yet.
    RT188