Thread: AT&T

AT&T

Their cutting the dividend in half. Hold or sell? I’ve had it for 10 years.

2. Member
    I have some as well. I'm just going to hold as the dividend will still be about 3.5% and they may be able to pay down some more debt. I don't have a very big position though.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    I have some as well. I'm just going to hold as the dividend will still be about 3.5% and they may be able to pay down some more debt. I don't have a very big position though.
    Won’t the decrease in dividend drive the stock price down too?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    Won’t the decrease in dividend drive the stock price down too?
    It may or it may not. Many times a stock cuts its dividend and the price goes up because they will keep the extra cash. If they pay down the debt or use the cash to grow it could be positive. I may or may not sell mine but it is such a small position in my account I may just leave it be and see what happens. I'm pretty neutral on the stock however. I wouldn't blame you for selling it if you have better uses for the money.

5. Member
    I sold mine when the stocked popped on the Warner Bros news. I’m glad I did since they announced shortly after they were cutting their dividend and the stock took a hit. I think there are better dividend stocks out there.

6. Member
    I sold mine today and rolled the proceeds into JEPI which has an equivalent yield. I still get the T dividend on 8/2 though.

7. Member
    Why not hold and buy dollar cost down if it declines in price? Also, aren't the current shareholders getting WB shares when the merge completes?
    It's not what you can take with you,

It's what you leave behind.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GJA View Post
    Why not hold and buy dollar cost down if it declines in price? Also, aren't the current shareholders getting WB shares when the merge completes?
    I just wasn't interested in holding the stock. I feel like there are better opportunities. Plus I have some in another account I have so figured I would clean them out of this account which is my more income orbited account.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    I just wasn't interested in holding the stock. I feel like there are better opportunities. Plus I have some in another account I have so figured I would clean them out of this account which is my more income orbited account.
    Got it.

I have a small position and didn't sell, just held onto it and didn't buy any more..... Been buying other positions on down days and T wasn't one of them.

Good luck!
    It's not what you can take with you,

It's what you leave behind.