Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Had one on my old boat, don't have one on my new boat. I don't miss it really. Get the manual set right and you're good to go.

2. Member
    It's a jump ball as to which has proven to be the best addition to my boat between the Ultrex and my hydraulic jackplate. I'd give the edge to the Ultrex, but, the plate is awfully handy as I fish shallow, stumpy lakes.

3. Member
    Had a trim relay pop on me with the motor trimmed all the way down. Would not have been able to load the boat on the trailer and get it up the ramp without dragging the skeg if I didn't have a hydraulic plate. When you are in rough water, being able to drop the motor a few inches makes a world of difference in handling the boat. Getting on plane with full livewells, 2 big guys, 50 gallons of gas in a driving rain? Raise the motor up and pop yourself up in half the time. Changing props for different waterways, weather, loads or speed? Get the motor height dialed in at the touch of a button. Running shallow stumpy creek channels or in unknown water? Get the propshaft way up above pad and cruise with less worry of catastrophic lower unit damage. Loading/unloading when the water is low and the ramp is hairy? No problem.

There are dozens of reasons I use mine. Well worth the money in my opinion.

4. Member
    If you can afford it get the hydraulic plate, lots of benefits.

That’s your decision on if you want a plate or not.

positives
    1. Hole shot improvement by adjusting engine
    2. Ease of adjustment for running several props
    3. Tweaking top end for load variations
    4. Ride adjustment in really rough water.
    5. accessing shallow water or fishing tidal

negatives
    A. Continued maintenance and cost both today and maintenance down line
    B. Having to adjust it and continual tweaking as you move, because you will instead of just driving
    C. Most people simply don’t get all the principals right
    D. Performance is harder to dial in due to daily variables.

E. We don’t agree with everyone needing one and do you need it or want it?

Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    ok, I have a 16.5 inch setback, I have found it seems my boat likes the engine raised all the way up for my hole shot, I lower the engine to run. What could be the reason?
    That would be expected, especially with a lot of setback and to much pitch and or not enough venting or to large prop diameter
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I use mine every time out - wouldn't have a boat without one. Would recommend a Bobs.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

After owning one, I would not have a boat without one! I use it every single time out without fail. Most of my fishing is in shallow water and it really helps when navigating through stump fields. Do yourself a favor and get one asap!

My new boat came with one and I have had a couple on other boats. They are not a must have for me especially on a Skeeter. I use it but I could get by fine without it.

10. Banned
    yes

Its nice but not a must have for me. In fact to me a manual plate is slightly lighter usually. I have had 3 boats with hydraulic JPs, I decided I did not need it on my current.

Generally there is a sweet spot once you find it stays there for me.

But if i was still fishing shallow resevoirs or rivers alot , like Livingston and Lake of the Pines for me. It would be nice.
    Last edited by BMCD; 07-15-2021 at 02:13 PM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. Member
    Up north I could live with a manual but I winter in Florida a hydraulic is very helpful in shallow water.

13. Member
    My ZXR 20 data.
    As lithiums day one.

manual jack plate 14in set back. Stock slide master
    25p sho - 64mph @ 6100
    25p fxp - 66mph @ 6100
    26p fxp -67mph @ 6000

now has atlas hydro, ran it with and without 2in spacers from the manual jack plate, with and without 5degree positive wedges,
    on all 3 props, and both fxp props where sent out to get cupped. Boat max is 70@ 6100.

so far I like the 25p sho prop. Its bigger and it just feels like it is more aggressive. Boat is very stable when you want it to be, and gets out of the hole quick. We are testing different setbacks for the lithiums. Up and down at 12 and 14in setbacks with lithiums does not help. So we are now moving to less setback testing. 6in is to short. Not grabbing enough water. Tomorrow testing 8in setback. Looks promising.

fingers crossed. So if your wanting to go lithiums, and ordering a jack-plate and expecting to be a rocket-ship like it can be, you will be alittle disappointed. The zxr likes the weight in the back.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawk View Post
    Ok, so I didn’t see a reason besides shallow water get-ups, and I’ve learned to do a spin to get up in skinny water. Anyone else want to tell me why I want to spend that much including the lever on the steering wheel? Anyone try it for top speed? Or comfortable speed with max people? Or hole shot with ….normal-3 folks-4 folks weight with 2 dogs etc weight?
    Yes I'd be happy to: When you have a long idle, you will go much faster by trimming plate up, and having motor level. Youi will also have easier time idling into skinny water, as boat motor is not pushing the ass of the boat down like it would if you were trimmed up high to avoid hitting bottom with LU. Also, when looking for a parking spot at weigh in's you will be able to get much shallower than those guys taking their shoes and socks off, and all without banging up your prop. I can't say I spend much time tweaking mine to get the last .2 mph out of boat. But when I have a partner with all his crap, and 52 gallons of fuel on board, and livewell full of water; I bump it up to get up on pad a little quicker. Overall my boat just performs better with one on, not just at top end.
    Had a Bobs for 10 years, on my 4th season with an Atlas; no issues with either. One more consideration: if you fish larger tournies, the Atlas awards program is pretty cool. I have $100'd TH Marine to death with their highest finisher award, and made 1/2 the money back I spent on the plate. I am in the camp of will always have a hydraulic plate from here on out.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubttec View Post
    My ZXR 20 data.
    As lithiums day one.

manual jack plate 14in set back. Stock slide master
    25p sho - 64mph @ 6100
    25p fxp - 66mph @ 6100
    26p fxp -67mph @ 6000

now has atlas hydro, ran it with and without 2in spacers from the manual jack plate, with and without 5degree positive wedges,
    on all 3 props, and both fxp props where sent out to get cupped. Boat max is 70@ 6100.

so far I like the 25p sho prop. Its bigger and it just feels like it is more aggressive. Boat is very stable when you want it to be, and gets out of the hole quick. We are testing different setbacks for the lithiums. Up and down at 12 and 14in setbacks with lithiums does not help. So we are now moving to less setback testing. 6in is to short. Not grabbing enough water. Tomorrow testing 8in setback. Looks promising.

fingers crossed. So if your wanting to go lithiums, and ordering a jack-plate and expecting to be a rocket-ship like it can be, you will be alittle disappointed. The zxr likes the weight in the back.

What was your final decision with your jack plate setback with the lithiums? Working on ordering a new jack plate and would love to hear your feedback?

16. Member
    Not sure I would be able to get my boat in the garage if I didn’t have a hydraulic jackplate. The new 4s engines are very tall and it is a tight fit on a 7ft garage door even with the jackplate lowered all the way down.
    Dave
    2021 Triton 18TRX, Mercury 200 ProXS-4s
    Lowrance Elite FS, w/ Active Target
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA SI G4N
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA DI G4N

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    That would be expected, especially with a lot of setback and to much pitch and or not enough venting or to large prop diameter
    I run 8 3/4 or 1 inch holes in mine. I have ma croxton 27 and it is only one I have to tune for holeshot. I have 4 open and 4 with I 1/4 inch hole
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Quote Originally Posted by got2fish View Post
    Not sure I would be able to get my boat in the garage if I didn’t have a hydraulic jackplate. The new 4s engines are very tall and it is a tight fit on a 7ft garage door even with the jackplate lowered all the way down.

Got the same problem, i just trim down and it fits.

So many guys buy it and never mess with it, if your after speed a hydraulic Jp is not the answer in my opinion.
    there are some nice things about owning one, but not 1300 worth of nice things.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

19. Member
    My champion and ranger both had manual plates. I put the 6" on my champion and the performance difference made me never want to be with out a plate again. On both my ranger and my champion once I dialed the PTP in I never felt I needed to touch it again. Now I have a hydroplate on my skeeter and I don't think I could ever be with out it. I was in the camp that it wasn't worth the money but decided to get it on my skeeter to help with low speed proposing. I have found many benefits to the hydro plate as it makes dialing in that sweet spot easier. However I agree with the above comments that if top speed is what your after a hydro isn't needed.

20. Member
    Going to be dragging my boat around lots more in the future and have hit a few lousy boat ramps which end in gravel. Scraped the prop and skeg a few too many times to not have one. Also fish lots of strip mines which need a skinnier motor. Had it put on last year and will really use it this year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12