Best way to get wiring from back to helm?

2010 Triton 21hp. Replacing the jp gauge and I've tried using a fish tape both directions and keep getting hung up. Any ideas how to do this that are easier?

2. Member
    Does your fish tape have a hook at the end? Mine does, I always use masking tape or blue painters tape around the hook and any edges where the fish tape and wire I'm pulling meet up. Try to smooth the transitions to avoid snags.

Needed to bring gauge harness forward from stern. Opened the starboard rod box lid and used an old fishing rod (with all the guides removed but the tip guide) under the gunnel to reach the starboard stern corner then attached a pull wire to the rod. While running the harness I attached another pull wire for use later if I need it again. And repeat.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

4. Scraps
    Throw the fish tape in the trash. I've used the fiberglass fishing sticks a bunch of times and way easier and less headache. I think I got mine for $20 at Harbor Fright. Or that old fishing rod. I've also used a piece of Romex wire. For the bilge I've done it both directions, push rod through from rod locker and pull cable from bilge, and hook the new cable to the stick and push it through from the rod locker. Either way worked fine. A little easier unhooking the new cable from the rod locker than in the bilge.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    I use a 10' section of 12/2 Romex, works every time I need to add or upgrade an accessory harness but that may not work if you have turns to deal with (my rigging tube is straight line).
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I've used vinyl-coated steel cable (3/16" or 1/4") with good results.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor