Pad to prop starting point

I have a 1990 20' bullet with a 200xp Evinrude 27 pitch prop (not sure on the brand). Where is a good starting point for the pad to prop shaft? I only have lower water pickups so nothing to block off. Prop shaft is currently at 3.5" below pad (seems to be a starting point on other brands) after looking at other Bullet setups on here this seems way too low. My issue is very poor hole shot when loaded with fuel, live well and 2 people.

2. Member
    Setback? I don't know gear ratio on that lower unit. I would start even with the pad (assuming coned LU with low water pickup). Will have to know the prop specs. For sure 3.5 is too low.

3. Member
    Jack plate setback is 9.5" I believe gear ratio is 1.86:1. Yes water pick up is on very bottom of cone. Only thing I can see on the prop is a 27p engraved in it.

4. Member
    Start at even and raise in 1/4" increments.When you get no gain in speed, go back to previous setting. Hole shot and top speed is always a trade off.
    Is the prop a 4 blade or 3? Does it have PVS holes, are they open? Describe what you mean by poor hole shot. Prop blowing out, bogging?

5. Member
    Prop is a 4 blade SS, it doesn't have any PVS holes. Boat was bogging down bad, sometimes taking 30 seconds to get on pad. Before I saw your post last night I went to the lake and tried it at 1.5" below pad and it was a huge improvement. Looks like I still have room to go up though. To be honest I'm not really concerned with top speed, don't get me wrong I like to go fast but just a good preforming fishing boat is all I need (want). Thanks for the help so far!

6. Member
    I would think as a general rule a 2 stroke will benefit from PVS holes to allow the motor to spin up a little more on the hole shot. I have owned a couple of 20's including a 1990 20V. On the 20V I used an over the hub prop to allow the motor to spin up more. My 20XD I used a 28 pitch Bravo which of course had PVS holes. To get the performance you want you are going to need a prop that will allow the motor to spin up more on take off. Just remember as I said above hole shot and top speed are a trade off.
    Raising the motor up in your case, since it was set WAY too low, will improve hole shot since the motor can spin up a little better. Also keep in mind with the smaller motors the balance between hole shot and top speed may be a little more tricky. I would go to the prop shaft center being even with the pad and see how that works. You may have to go to a prop with PVS.

7. Member
    Whatever you do, keep an eye on your water pressure. Also, the higher up you go on the jack plate the less trim you will need. If you are running above the pad too much trim will blow the prop out of the water. The boat will spin out of control. Be careful.
    BulletTJ
    Tim
    There is never a wrong time
    to do the right thing!