Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is any boat out there a copy of the Legend? Will there be another company?

What most companies do is copy hull designs and change the top cap.. Since Johnny bough legend, has one of his other boats used the legend hull?

Or, would someone splash the hull and start making them under a new name?

2. Legend Boats Moderator
    Charger splashed the Champion 210. I haven’t seen any of the WRMG boats copy Legend although that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the new Triton XRT. It has a big deck like the V series Legends

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The 210 elite by charger is probably about as close you will find in today’s market .The legend was a champion,hawk ,cobra design by storie which he made the champion which charge has a copy of now .

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    TOC, the Cobra & Hawk were not deep V hulls like the Champ. His non-compete prevented him from building another. They were modified splashes of one of the Ranger hulls. Randy Qualls bought Hawk and that became Legend. I'm assuming the early Legends used Hawk molds.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    TOC, the Cobra & Hawk were not deep V hulls like the Champ. His non-compete prevented him from building another. They were modified splashes of one of the Ranger hulls. Randy Qualls bought Hawk and that became Legend. I'm assuming the early Legends used Hawk molds.

Right, I am very familiar with the history of the 4 series boats that Storie used to start that line of boats. All splashes and evolutions of that hull. Because of the popularity of the legend, i am surprised someone hasn't bought a Legend boat and started making a brand around the Hull. Wish i knew more about fiberglass, i might do it myself and tweak the things i wanted to tweak. It might even be cheaper than buying a new boat anyway.

6. Member
    the reason no one has tried the remake of the legend boats is in this market of crazy money being spent on boats there is not enough demand for the product. it cost a lot of money to build boats an it always gets down to demand for the product an if you can make money at the amount you can build. everybody was waiting with great anticipation of the charger champion pop look at them now bet they dont build 40 boats a year. when a boat company goes away it is always about making money if investors could start up a boat company there are always molds out there of failed boat companies but it takes a long time to realize a profit.

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Yea I said the 210 was as close and the legend was a hawk ,cobra ,pro craft ,legend design with was John storie which the hawk was his first attempt and than cobra and so on .The original charger hull was based off of the ranger and champion mountain home design but does not carry the v side all the way like the legend and pro craft ,hawk ,cobra.The 210 has more of the v nose design of those boats .The original mountain home were what a charger V is today.So into days world the 210 is close not exact.The Charger hull 6 series is that super deep V front and 13-15 degrees rear dead rise if this makes since.

8. Member
    One thing I know well is that competition is good for any market. Phoenix wasn't a player 20 years ago and look at them now. They came along and captured a large part of the market away from other brands. Brands are mismanaged or left to live on past successes (insert brand names here). If you keep feeding the public something new they want or define what they want, then you can make it and rise to the top.

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Phoenix isn't the same company they were 20 years ago. Gary Clouse and a couple of his associates left Genmar (I think they were actually fired) where they were the execs for Stratos. They bought the B-Line company and started Phoenix. Gary has a lot of time in the boat industry. Very well worth a look. If I were looking for a new boat, being a 30yr Champion owner, I'd consider Charger or Bass Cat. Both have a deep V hull which will give a better ride IMHO.

10. Member
    Phoenix isn't the same company they were 20 years ago. Gary Clouse and a couple of his associates left Genmar (I think they were actually fired) where they were the execs for Stratos. They bought the B-Line company and started Phoenix. Gary has a lot of time in the boat industry. Very well worth a look. If I were looking for a new boat, being a 30yr Champion owner, I'd consider Charger or Bass Cat. Both have a deep V hull which will give a better ride IMHO.
    I absolutely agree that Gary had lots of years of experience in building boats and the company. Heck the 721 from what i understand is a stratos really. And I agree that Bass Cat is probably the best built boat out there right now and a deeper V boat also. The Charger took the 210 and updated an already older top cap design and made it 20% better. I wish they would have done a few easier things to make the boat a real contender like a console redesign, then make a better under console solution. I am not a fan of the slide out bins. Also, make the cooler better. Maybe add a real day box like every other boat has shown is a desired standard. Even with all that, when i am looking for a new to me boat i am looking at the Champ 200 series boats, the legend V20-21, and the BassCats....

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman81 View Post
    I absolutely agree that Gary had lots of years of experience in building boats and the company. Heck the 721 from what i understand is a stratos really. And I agree that Bass Cat is probably the best built boat out there right now and a deeper V boat also. The Charger took the 210 and updated an already older top cap design and made it 20% better. I wish they would have done a few easier things to make the boat a real contender like a console redesign, then make a better under console solution. I am not a fan of the slide out bins. Also, make the cooler better. Maybe add a real day box like every other boat has shown is a desired standard. Even with all that, when i am looking for a new to me boat i am looking at the Champ 200 series boats, the legend V20-21, and the BassCats....
    Good luck finding a new Legend V20 or V21 since they don't make them any more.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Good luck finding a new Legend V20 or V21 since they don't make them any more.
    I said "new to me" I am very doubtful I will ever buy a new boat unless the lottery gods decided it was my turn.

13. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman81 View Post
    I said "new to me" I am very doubtful I will ever buy a new boat unless the lottery gods decided it was my turn.
    Copy that Asa! At my age, and the price of boats, This one is gonna have to last me.

14. Member
    Copy that Asa! At my age, and the price of boats, This one is gonna have to last me.
    it just seems like so many people are getting into fishing and buying expensive boats. My bet is the ,market will be flooded in a year or so of barely used new boats at a HUGE markdown. Fishing is a passion and it takes time, money and determination. Life happens to so many and fishing takes a back seat. So I am going to wait and get my next boat at a discount... At least I hope so.

15. Member
    dont hold your breath i have several banks i used to buy repos from not a repo in the last 4 years the used market is so good even if they didnt pay much down they would still be able to sell it.

16. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    The Hawk was a splash of a 481v Ranger.

17. Member
    They didn’t splash it ,it is an actual champion hull with a modified top cap.

18. Member
    It seems to me that quality is not a big factor to most buyers of boats anymore..
    I love my Alpha, and 15yrs ago it was one of the nicest and flashiest things out there, but it seems quality (in most industries, look at automobiles) has taken a huge step back for cost purpose, and corporate BS
    there are very few independently owned manufacturers out there for anything anymore, how many bass boat companies are still independently or family owned? Basscat ?? I know there is more..
    How many people would actually go buy new legend if they still existed? all the same guys who have had their legend for 10yrs? that doesn't seem to generate new revenue for a company.. How many people buying boats now keep them for 10yrs anymore? I have had my Legend for 8yrs and by doing so I am not really contributing to the bass boat industry.. Aside from my dad and like two other friends who are older, every person I have fished with in probably 10yrs has not kept a boat more than 2 yrs, and they are all in pheonix, skeeters, rangers, Nitros etc.. things I would not get rid of my legend to own.. but lets be realistic, if they are only keeping the boat for 2 yrs it doesnt matter how cheap or poorly made they are because it will make it to the 2yr mark and be someone elses issue after that..
    I know Champion has a way bigger cult following than Legend does.. but how many of the 210 champ chargers were sold? and lets face it.. maybe charger is not the brand any of those guys what to own? okay what about the Basscat 203? I have yet to see one of those out there.. and I would be inclined to buy the cat over the charger.. But if I was sitting in a dealership looking at the Cat203 I would be extremely hard pressed not to pass right by and look at the Caracal or even the Eyra! and just like that the cult following is lost because it isn't John Storys boat any longer..
    Im not so sure that a brand new V20 with updates and all the issues fixed would sell like they did 10yrs ago.. and Bass pro is still gonna sell more junk than anyone else out there..
    If I was in the market for a new boat I would be looking at Basscats, Ballistics, maybe a Blazer, and to be honest I wouldn't pull the trigger if I couldn't swing keeping the Alpha as well
    PS I also am not real worried about companies going under after I have the product.. Warranties have never worked out well for me lol

19. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by john721 View Post
    If you're talking about the Hawk, it is nowhere like a Champ.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john721 View Post
    Not even close, it is a modified Ranger 481v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast