Thread: Rod suggestion

Rod suggestion

I have a buddy that wants me to build a 8' frog rod what blanks should I suggest

2. Member
    for like a dedicated frog rod my favorite blank is a Hydra NG FL4 but don't think you can get those right now. I've been building people Thrasher BSC7805's or BSC7806's. They make a great frog rod (all the BSCs are really good for moving baits). 7'8" though not 8'

3. Scraps
    8ft seems like an awfully unwieldy stick for slinging frogs. Assume this is a "mat" fishing rod. Even still, seems like way more than necessary.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    Two blanks I really like are a MHx Fp-885 or a liberty fs764. But they both fall short of your length requirement.

5. Member
    How is the sensitivity and tip on the liberty fs764? Is the low end as advertised at 1/4oz?

6. Member
    FS764 can be used for frogs but it's more of a M/MF action so the tip isn't great for walking frogs and doesn't cast as accurately easily if you're fishing like a smaller frog (Kaera etc) to targets. If you're just dragging a full size frog over mats then the FS764 is a good one.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    FS764 can be used for frogs but it's more of a M/MF action so the tip isn't great for walking frogs and doesn't cast as accurately easily if you're fishing like a smaller frog (Kaera etc) to targets. If you're just dragging a full size frog over mats then the FS764 is a good one.
    Basically this.
    Sounds like with wanting an 8' rod that's what he's looking for though, a mat rod.

And no, the 1/4 oz isn't close. Ive thrown down to 1/2 oz frogs with it, but stick to bigger ones (5/8-3/4) with it normally. I use a shorter different blank for small frogs making accurate casts up into cover.
    I use it for random other things too, bigger topwaters, punching, etc.
    The blank is a little heavy feeling( too me at least) but I don't have a problem using it all day.
    Sensitivity is descent, dont really have much of a problem there as I'm running straight braid and normally throwing heavier weights with it.
    Good blank for the $70-80 or whatever it is.
    I think phenix has a 7'7 XH blank on the feather series as well, would probably be a good option too.

8. Member
    Definitely sounds like a mat rod. Maybe an NFC IM 808 or 807?

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

9. Member
    The Liberty was designed to be a flipping stick, I have no idea who makes them now, but they were originally reported to be built by Cousins from a pattern developed by Shikari, for many the finest flipping stick ever developed. The design was originally from the thoughts of Dee Thomas the developer and Father of Flipping. The original flipping stick was very long, later restricted for it's length. The commercially built rod from Dee's ideas was from a 7 1/2 ft. S glass saltwater blank made by Fenwick, before graphite rod development. I own one of those rods.

10. Member
    He wants it for all around frigging. I told him 8' was a little much but he insisted he said he wants the best of everything. I know that a frog is his primary bait of choice.

My favorite frog rod is a moderate MH-H crankbait rod... I think mine is 7ft 11in.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Unless he is 9 feet tall id suggest him a blank in the 7'2 to 7'4" range. I've had good luck with the hydra FL904f-NG or the rainshadow IMMC73HXF if for super thick cover/ dense wood. But there are countless other great options

13. Member
    I get that the extra length makes keeping the line off the surface a lot easier, but man you are giving the fish so much more leverage when you go that long. I mostly fish a frog over heavy matted vegetation so I try to limit my casts to 60 - 70' at most, so any casting distance advantage of a rod that long, is a mute point in my book. I just don't see the point. I'm more with the thinking of ridgerunner. Personally I wouldn't go over 7'6" and I actually use rods shorter than that.

I have 2 rods that see frog duty. One is built on a Rainshadow Immortal IMMC72MH. The other is built on an NFC MB709 IM. If I'm throwing something like a Teckler or a Horny Toad, I use the MB 709 because of its' slower action. If I'm fishing a hollow body over matted vegetation, walking a frog, or fishing in pads, it's the 72MH.