2005 Z21 Rub Rail Leak

So I've pretty much determined I've got a leak on the port side of my boat that's letting water into the rod locker on that side. Took the boat out in calm conditions and drove it mildly, locker stayed bone dry. Took it out the next day in pretty rough winds with a lot of boat traffic, needless to say it was a rough ride back to my fishing spot and I had standing water in the port side locker. I'm looking for advise from those that have done this before so I can prepare myself for what I'm getting into. Do I need to completely remove the rub rail and somehow re-seal the seam where the cap and hull come together ? I'm assuming this is where the water intrusion is happening. Any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    If you look under the rub rail you will probably see some gaps where the water is entering. I had the same thing and used Boat Life caulking that I got from West Marine. You could probably use a silicone to seal it also.

3. mikesxpress
    I did my Z21 Intracoastal. Big project best performed in the heat of the summer to allow for maximum flexibility of rub rail components for easier installation. Seal all the gaps and tighten/seal the screws. Add sealant to the screw heads to keep them from backing out. No further issues.
    *Been nice if the they would have done it during the build....

4. Member
    Did you guys completely remove the rub rail then start sealing it up as you screwed it back on ?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRob71 View Post
    Did you guys completely remove the rub rail then start sealing it up as you screwed it back on ?
    I did not remove the rub rail on mine. I just used the sealant wherever I noticed a gap under the rub rail, it was not like it leaked along the entire rub rail, only a couple areas.