Lake of the woods

Hello all. My uncle, cousin and I will be on Lake of the woods the last week of july. Just looking for a little direction. I hope to get on some walleye and smallmouth. Muskie would be amazing but I know my family dosent have the gear or the desire to chuck big baits all day. I chase trophy striper with big swimbaits so I may ship some gear and baits ahead of time to give it a shot.

We rented a boat and will be on the southern end of the lake where the river flows in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

2. Member
    I just got back from Lake of the Woods but we were fishing the Northwest Angle. Late July on the south shore, the fish will have moved out in the lake a ways to the deeper humps and flats. Numerous guide and charter boats run off the south shore, you might look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by gregmerz View Post
    I just got back from Lake of the Woods but we were fishing the Northwest Angle.
    Just curious - did you boat there?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

I'll chime in about muskies- they don't really live in the main basin. Much much better to the north in the islands. I think smallmouth are the same. But the south will supply lots of walleye opportunities
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    US side (excluding the NW Angle) = BIG open water

Canadian side = all of your islands, bays, etc. and your better muskie and smallie habitat

I think you'll be mainly fishing walleyes off shore

6. Member
    Thanks for the info. We are looking at a guided trip as well.
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI