Thread: Leaf springs

Leaf springs

Long story short, I have a triton trailer with the single leaf springs. Changed them over to a multi leaf pack. The original springs where measured at 26”, I was told to buy 25 1/4” new ones since old springs settle over time and get longer. Well it seems I can’t get my new springs to work correctly. The equalizer between the two front and rear springs where the swing shackles mount seems to be to short. I can’t get the leafs above the equalizer. Any thoughts?

2. Member
    I was told to buy 25 1/4” new ones since old springs settle over time and get longer.

What did the person who told you what size to order say when you informed them of your current problem?

Possible to call the place where you bought the springs and ask for their advice, or maybe an exchange for the correct size?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    What did the person who told you what size to order say when you informed them of your current problem?

Possible to call the place where you bought the springs and ask for their advice, or maybe an exchange for the correct size?
    Ordered leafs online...very hard to locate springs locally right now.

4. Member
    Ordered leafs online...very hard to locate springs locally right now.

A little confused.

Did they (the online vendor) suggest ordering the shorter spring size or did someone else make that suggestion to you?

5. Member
    A little confused.

Did they (the online vendor) suggest ordering the shorter spring size or did someone else make that suggestion to you?
    They said to order a 25 1/4" spring since springs sag and get longer over time

The mono springs were/are 26'' and they are more curved than leaf springs. So when you replace them you will need to use longer shackle links, like 6'' for the fender to clear the tire. Get a minimum of 1850 pound springs, 2000 pound is better.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    They said to order a 25 1/4" spring since springs sag and get longer over time
    Sounds like a call to the vendor is in order on how they they would like to proceed to solve the problem caused by their errant advice on the spring selection.

I have never dealt with mono leaf spring setups so I am not sure if there is a measurement difference from stacked spring packs.

Sounds like you have a tandem axle trailer and tandems are usually measured by axle center to center.

If you use longer shackles, my fear would be a spring flipping with one up and one down on a tight turn.

Not really sure what the solution is other than a 26" spring pack.

Let us know what your eventual solution is.

Good Luck

Call marine master with your vin and get the 26", if that's what you have?
    2006 Triton TR186, 175 Optimax,

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPOTREMOVER2 View Post
    Call marine master with your vin and get the 26", if that's what you have?

I wish it was that easy..26" springs are sold out all over the country. With ship dates ranging from August to the end of October...

10. Member
    You didn't happen to buy your springs from Champion trailers and parts supply did you?

11. Member
    Is the trailer off the ground or are you trying to do one at a time or have you already got them installed and this is the result?
    Last edited by rat0502; 06-27-2021 at 10:22 PM.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

12. Member
    You didn't happen to buy your springs from Champion trailers and parts supply did you?

No.. why.?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rat0502 View Post
    Is the trailer off the ground or are you trying to do one at a time or have you already got them installed and this is the result?

They are installed

14. Member
    No.. why.?
    Was having a bit Dejavu with your story.

Similar thing happened to me 5-6 years ago and I have a 4 set of new springs in the shed that you could have had for free if they measured 26".

Went out and measured them and unfortunately they are 25-1/4".

Started thinking that I had to reorder the correct 26" and seem to remember how I was also advised to get the shorter spring but they did not work.

Ordered a new set and I just kept the wrong size springs vs the return shipping cost and figured I would someday find someone who could use them.

Oh well

15. Member
    Not trying to hijack this thread but i bought a old champion on tandem trailer back in jan. and had a tire go bad last week and noticed they had replaced one leaf spring that is 26" so i measured the other 3 springs and they were all 25 1/4" springs and all was 5 leaf. so been looking into springs also.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90pantera View Post
    They are installed

what does your axle spacing measure now, center to center of hub? How do your shackle straps look attached to the equalizer? They should be make “w” shape. I went through all kinds of issues getting my 98 trailer right. Long story short, I needed 25 1/4 springs on mine to get it right but they were tough to install. I had to do a lot of research on hanger and axle spacing to figure out what spring pack I needed since MFI is out of business. BTW, what brand is your trailer?
    Last edited by rat0502; 06-30-2021 at 09:54 PM.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

OP,
    what did you end up doing?
    I had a spring break on me this morning on my way back home from a tnx that was canceled due to the wind. Funny thing is the main spring broke and it exposed the size and strength which was hidden before breakage. Turns out I used 27'' springs as replacements for the original mono springs. This allowed for the shackles to be angled a little bit to start with and work properly when a bump was encountered. I'm pretty sure it broke because of an impact it took last Saturday when I was making a turn going around a line of cars and the trailer tire fell off the road. That was quit a jolt.
    Anyway it broke right next to a diner with a large parking lot. I unhooked the boat and went home to get my original springs, shackles, etc and got myself back on the road.
    I had to order new springs from trailerparts.com because easterntrailers was OOS.
    FYI I have a single axel trailer. Also the curvature of the leaf springs are not what the original mono spring is so a much longer shackle was required. I think they are 7 or 8''.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

18. Member
    You could try a wider equalizer. Maybe 7 3/4 if yours is 5 3/4.