Grand Traverse Bay

Anyone been up there recently have any water temp updates? Will be there this weekend and trying to get an idea of if they’ve started or are still spawning. Also, if anyone is more familiar with this area is one of the bays better than the other? Or even just more protected from the wind? Looks like maybe a W or SW wind this weekend. Thanks!

2. Member
    East bay is easier to find fish in my opinion.

I was on Little Traverse today and water temperature was running 57 degrees. East and West Arm of Traverse Bay is probably running a little warmer would be my guess.

Grand Traverse bay water temps running 67-68 all over the bay. Main spawn is over. Still some on beds if you want to spend the time to look for them. Bass are in the middle of post-spawn/ summer transition. Some shallow/some deeper.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    Grand Traverse bay water temps running 67-68 all over the bay. Main spawn is over. Still some on beds if you want to spend the time to look for them. Bass are in the middle of post-spawn/ summer transition. Some shallow/some deeper.
    I guess it's running a lot warmer. Thanks for that bit of info Ranger519VS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    Oh wow that’s much warmer than I was thinking, thanks for the info!

Also, was this on the East or West bay? Or both? Thinking about putting in at Bowers Harbor in the morning then launching on the East side later in the afternoon.

Those temps are from east bay in the last few days. They are pretty much the same on West. May be more bedders left on West as it always lags East bay by a few days. The temps were in the 70's before this last big blow and cold front on Monday. Like I said, we have had so much high wind from the South and warm temps that it has made the temp pretty much the same all over.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

west bay was 67 two weeks ago and you were hard pressed to find a pre-spawn fish. happened fast and early this year with a big warm up right after memorial day.

9. Member
    Fished the west bay up near Bowers Harbor and water temps were low 60’s, East bay was around 67. Overall was a pretty solid trip, didn’t catch any giants but definitely saw a few. Had the most luck in the Southwest corner of the East bay in 5-10 feet of water. Still saw some on beds in both bays from 15 feet all the way to the shoreline but they were all pretty scattered.

Man what a AWESOME experience fishing on those bays. I don’t even want to go back to fishing on these dirty brown West Michigan lakes anymore now lol

One last thing, I saw a BUNCH of fish sitting right at the bottom of drop offs in 15-20 feet of water and spent quite a bit of time throwing tubes and deep cranks but they didn’t seem to even acknowledge my bait. I think I caught maybe 2 fish on the bottom of a drop off after fishing then for quite a few hours. Possibly just post spawn fish with lock jaw? Or maybe I just need to bite the bullet and finally learn to fish a drop shot?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McGreavster View Post
    Fished the west bay up near Bowers Harbor and water temps were low 60’s, East bay was around 67. Overall was a pretty solid trip, didn’t catch any giants but definitely saw a few. Had the most luck in the Southwest corner of the East bay in 5-10 feet of water. Still saw some on beds in both bays from 15 feet all the way to the shoreline but they were all pretty scattered.

Man what a AWESOME experience fishing on those bays. I don’t even want to go back to fishing on these dirty brown West Michigan lakes anymore now lol

One last thing, I saw a BUNCH of fish sitting right at the bottom of drop offs in 15-20 feet of water and spent quite a bit of time throwing tubes and deep cranks but they didn’t seem to even acknowledge my bait. I think I caught maybe 2 fish on the bottom of a drop off after fishing then for quite a few hours. Possibly just post spawn fish with lock jaw? Or maybe I just need to bite the bullet and finally learn to fish a drop shot?
    Probably suckers or drum, maybe.....sheepshead(drum) look just like smallies when they are under 5 pounds. Glad ya had a good trip.

Been seeing a lot of Cisco and lake Trout on the dropoffs in 20-25' We have caught a couple throwing swim baits.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

12. Member
    That clear, shallow water smallmouth fishing will ruin anybody. I fish Dale Hollow and Laurel River Lake in Ky and they're known as deep, clear highland reservoirs. But, nothing compares to Trav Bay. Except maybe the archipelago's at Beaver Island out in the main lake. Which is on my bucket list for sure.

13. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    If they were drum/sheephead they would have bit.......lol
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

14. Member
    Smalliehound----Was fishing Stannard Rock in Lake Superior last week you could see fish 30 feet down, there are reefs at the light house, I said to Mike this is good tube water, he said you have a white tube--- yes I do
    He put on a clinic that was short of amazing, as for me I am not that smart I used a fly rod-- got 4