Shallow cranking assistance wanted

Hey guys looking for a little guidance. Not much of a crankbait type of guy but I have begun to play with it this year. Mostly throwing squarebills and dt6 or less. Realizing that a glass rod is really the way I need to go I purchased a slx 7' med glass rod for this technique ( I know better rods for this but didn't want to dump money till I know I'm going to stick with it). Was wondering on reel speed recommendations on line type and size. Thanks in advance
    Skip Bogert-- Kempton, Pa
    2019 Ranger Rt 188 ( fusion )-115 Pro XS- MK ultrex

2. Member
    I prefer something in the 26-28 IPT range.
    Slow enough to keep em down, but fast enough to burn em if that's what the fish want. Especially on the squarebills.

Open water
    10-12 fluoro or copoly

Banging into cover
    15lb fluoro or copoly

3. Member
    Great info ... Have a 7:1 reel that I can spool up with some 12 lb that should work for most applications

I have an original Tatula 6.3:1 with 12-15lb mono or PLine on a 7' MH BPS Cranking Stick for squarebills/medium divers. The 6.3:1, 26" or so per turn I think, is my go to because I have a hard time making myself slow down if need be and that's kind of the sweet spot to keep me from overfishing it. I've never seen a reason to spend a fortune on a cranking rod either. I was honestly surprised at how much I like that BPS stick considering the price. I've also found it can make a pretty good chatterbait rod too. My go to cranks on this setup are LC and 6th Sense 1.5 and 2.5 sizes and Rapala DT Fats and BX Brats with the occasional medium divers tied on. I have another cranking rod that I usually use if I'm planning on staying deeper and throwing medium/deep divers with a 5:1 reel on it and 10-12 lb line.

5. Member
    Most people (I think) use a medium speed 6 to1 reel for squarebills and other shallow cranks. I like a 5.6:1 for all crankbaits. I also use a 7' medium BPS crankin stick and 12 lb. flouro.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollopoint94 View Post
    I prefer something in the 26-28 IPT range.
    Slow enough to keep em down, but fast enough to burn em if that's what the fish want. Especially on the squarebills.

Open water
    10-12 fluoro or copoly

Banging into cover
    15lb fluoro or copoly
    This is the only post you need to read.

7. Member
    Most people don't fish square bills fast enough, they're reaction baits, slow is for worms, fast and faster are my only two speeds so I prefer a 29-30ipt reel, usually around 7:1 makes for easy crankin with standard sq bill sizes. The shimano curado mgl 7.4:1 is my current sq bill reel. For lines I use and choose by diameter not test rating as line diameters will vary greatly by line test, I only crank shallow so I use lines around .35-.40mm which can fall anywhere from 14-20lb test depending on brand.

8. Member
    Thanks for all the information and replies, will try my setup out next trip and look into getting a different reel with a little slower ratio. Thanks again

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    My cranking setups are pretty simple. 7’ Carbonlite 2.0 rod/reel 6.8, 10lb Pline CXX or 12lb mono. For squarebills I stick with mono because I throw those things around some rough stuff but the 10lb CXX is great for Little Johns and DT6s. Hey, I’m in Florida, I don’t deep Crank! 10’ is deep for me!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Member
    Glass rods im using fluoro, graphite copolymer. Way too much give and stretch with glass copoly/mono and i can’t feel a thing, not enough give/stretch on graphite/fluoro and I feel too much. As a rule I use copoly/graphite for square bills so I can feel when to slow down and pull the bait with my rod over a limb or stump. Being able to use the ol bow and arrow trick to get unstuck without having to go in and blow out a laydown is nice and I’ve caught some toads as soon as the bait pops free.

On the flip side, the bow and arrow trick doesn’t work too well in deep water or with fluoro so I just use the plug knicker and copoly/mono floats, has terrible abrasion resistance when cranking hard bottoms and poor hook ups on long casts. So i use fluoro for deep cranking.

This is just what i prefer and am in no way am I saying it’s the only way.