Grand lake St Marys

Hey Everyone. I know Grand Lake is really shallow. It being hand dug and all, how many stump hazards are out in the main lake when running full throttle. Is there any tips on where to stay “Alert” ? Thanks for any advice!!

2. Member
    have never seen stump issues in middle of the lake? safer than indian mostly as I have hit a stump in open water at indian lake
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Ok just wondering. I’ve been reading some past on the lake and they said they removed a bunch in the early 2000’s. This will be my first time there in a boat and wanted to be safe. Thanks alot

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I have not hit a stump in St. Mary’s for decades, because I have learned not to cruise close to the shoreline. The south shoreline especially had many stumps 20-30 years ago, and I assume most of those [being submerged] are still there. There are definitely stumps that can be hit on the north shoreline as well, particularly in late summer or fall when the water level drops. The best strategy always is to go straight in toward whatever channel you are aiming for. Cutting across is less safe, and running down the shoreline [less than 500 feet out] is not a good idea.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I have not hit a stump in St. Mary’s for decades, because I have learned not to cruise close to the shoreline. The south shoreline especially had many stumps 20-30 years ago, and I assume most of those [being submerged] are still there. There are definitely stumps that can be hit on the north shoreline as well, particularly in late summer or fall when the water level drops. The best strategy always is to go straight in toward whatever channel you are aiming for. Cutting across is less safe, and running down the shoreline [less than 500 feet out] is not a good idea.
    Good to hear and thanks for your input! I will follow that advice.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    and hope the algae hasn't bloomed yet good spring lake but terrible summer and fall
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    and hope the algae hasn't bloomed yet good spring lake but terrible summer and fall
    From this weekend..not my pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece22 View Post
    From this weekend..not my pictures.

seen it one time we were there it was soo bright green it looked like dye was added to the water. dead fish everywhere also! was about july I believe.
    MAGA

9. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Looks like the blue green type. Not good
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia