Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar

Crypto dip, time to buy or.....?

With bitcoin and others siting here about 50% off highs I'm wondering if I should get back in. I remember when bitcoin made it's original run from 10K to 20K, it was all the talk. I asked then what are the use cases, and never really felt like I got a satisfactory answer. I just couldn't understand it.

With bitcoin being main stream for several years now, what are the examples of uses cases. ETH, was suppose to be smart contracts, I think. Are there examples of smart contracts being used? After a 50% haircut, I don't think we can say its a store of value, I thought that was it's best case. After years of being mainstream, the volatility still prevents crypto from being a useful currency, except for ransomware. But it sounds like even bitcoin is even losing the ransomware use case. Clearly not a hedge against inflation.

So what are examples of Bitcoin, Ethereum and the other thousands of cryptos, actually being used?
    Thanos was the hero

2. Member
    The practical use I think is that it can be transferred cross border without incurring hefty foreign exchange fees. El Salvador adopted it as legal tender because it has a huge foreign workforce and it enables these workers to send money back to their own country without paying currency exchange fees.

3. Member
    I dont think weve seen bottom yet honestly. I cleared mine ALL out and am waiting. If I take an L on it, it wont be a huge loss. I see ETH in the 12-1400 range first. I sold at 3700 and 2900

4. Member
    I've never invested in any crypto before, but if any of the big currencies decide to swim in the gutter, I will throw some money in the ring that I can afford to keep invested until it returns if it dives deeper...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

5. Member
    I put some more in yesterday. Just fun money I would have spend somewhere else. Not staking any retirement funds on it.

6. Member
    I have never understood a practical use for bitcoin. From the beginning I have leaned toward the XRP and Stellar because of the practical components for banks and how much faster transactions are.

After my initial investment prior to the major dip a few years ago, I have refrained from investing more, I cant really put a finger on why other than I feel like I have already taken the gamble and at this point am I investing good money after bad. Also I have not followed and I am really not sure of the tax implications and how they have or will shake out so I am hesitant.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edziu23 View Post
    I have never understood a practical use for bitcoin. From the beginning I have leaned toward the XRP and Stellar because of the practical components for banks and how much faster transactions are.

After my initial investment prior to the major dip a few years ago, I have refrained from investing more, I cant really put a finger on why other than I feel like I have already taken the gamble and at this point am I investing good money after bad. Also I have not followed and I am really not sure of the tax implications and how they have or will shake out so I am hesitant.
    I'm in the exact situation. I'm letting past purchases ride it out. If it goes down the tubes then no big loss. I will admit i have an itch to buy some more but am waiting to see how it shakes out over the next several months.

8. Member
    Good documentary that's free on Amazon Prime now is 'Cryptopia: Bitcoin, Blockchains and the future of the Internet'
    -
    Its kinda dry in spots; but uses a lot of good visuals to help explain things and is pretty interesting overall. It came out last year, so pretty current.
    -
    I had a chunk of change in crypto in 2018 and was looking at short-term gains; the volatility ultimately spooked me out of it. Kicking myself now for bailing on it and looking at it long term now. It's only a single digit percent of my portfolio, so if it craps the bed; it's barely a blip on the radar.............but, if it takes off, it'll be worth it.
    -
    I cant speak for great use cases though; but younger generations are crazy about it and the 'store of value' thing interests me.
    -
    Kinda like a block of gold in your hand; younger folks would be like, "cool?"..............older folks would be drooling. But, talking to younger folks about crypto; their eyes light up like a modern day gold rush.
    -
    And, the fact that talking heads on the TV's financial scene report on it more and more..............and with larger companies and brokerage firms coming around to it; I figure I'll try and get in front of the wave............whether the wave takes me on a nice ride or levels me............it'll be a ride. :-)

I added new positions in Coinbase and GBTC within my IRAs. I'd like to have Bitcoin itself in my IRA, but Fidelity doesn't allow it yet.

10. Member
    I have etherium and bitcoin. Still up from purchase letting it ride and see
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

11. Member
    Crypto theres 2 ways to make/lose money the latter only happens when ya sell..

7$ a day into your top 3 or so one purchase each day paid for all my electronics on my offshore boat. Total invested was peanuts and I still have more. Its easier if you just ignore the crap buy low and wait till its news agan.

Method 2 swing trade the hell out of it for small profits like day trader.