Update on my Char Griller 980 gravity fed grill

Now that I’ve had my Char Griller 980 for a little while and I’ve done multiple cooks I thought I would do a thread giving my thoughts on the pros and cons. Kind of felt like I hijacked the other thread, my apologies for that.

Things I like:
    *The convenience of set it and forget it, I have found this to be very convenient and works well.
    *I really like charcoal or lump flavor versus gas or pellets.
    *I like being able to put wood in the ashtray or in the hopper with the fuel, makes it convenient and also better control of how much smoke at a precise time.
    *I like Having a choice of having smoke or not having smoke.
    * I like how versatile it is being able to make many different things from low and slow cooks,(ribs, Pork butts, brisket) to medium heat (hamburgers and such), to high heat for searing.
    * Even heat, this is the best grill I ever had for her even heat. It’s not perfect, but it’s the best I’ve had, and I’ve had quite a few.
    *Main cooking grate is very large. Even though the master built has a 1050 versus this 980, it is divided among three grates, people I know that have one say the bottom grate gets too hot. The grate on the 980 is well spaced from the heat deflector and does not get too hot, it is all very usable. I really think it’s a better design.
    * The supplied grill cover is very good quality

Things that could be improved:
    *The read out on the digital temperature is meant to give a average from the center of the cooking chamber. I don’t know why they did this, and it consistently reads higher than the actual temp. The grill comes with two ports for probes, so I simply use one probe to monitor internal grill temperature and the other to monitor internal temperature of the food. It’s not really a big deal because it maintains temperature well, it’s just a matter of getting to learn your grill. You can monitor both programs from your app on your phone.
    * The Wi-Fi, it’s only good on your local home network, you cannot control it away from your network. I have no idea why they would do this, that is old-school technology. Maybe they will correct it. Again it’s not a big deal to me, but it’s such basic technology it’s kind of ridiculous they did not utilize it.
    * The grates are porcelain coated, I prefer cast-iron grates. Cast-iron grates retain heat better and produce better grill marks.
    *There are two ports for probes, but they only give you one probe, why I don’t know. But I had to spend 10 bucks for a second probe- again no big deal but no idea why they don’t send 2 probes when they have two ports.

For the gravity fed grills, I’ve done a lot of YouTube and reading reviews and I’m pretty well convinced this is the best gravity fed grill on the market to date. It’s also $200 cheaper than its main competitor, the master built 1050, although I think they both do a fine job.

I have no regrets, very happy with my grill, seems to be built very and so far all the food I cooked turned out very good. I probably forgot something but hope this is good info to somebody considering one.

2. Member
    1) No worries on the Hijack, I was more than glad to get the info
    2) Thanks for the thought out feedback. To me it seems like the positives WAY outweigh the negatives. That wifi thing is a bummer, not like I'm going to control it from the lake often, but damn it would be nice to have the capability. That seems really crazy.

I will have one soon. Really looking forward to see how it handles winter in Michigan. Hoping it's a little more hands off while I sit inside my nice warm house option, opposed to my other smoker!!!!

3. Member
    I just ordered the Masterbuilt 800.

That grill looks great. I didn't know there was such a thing until recently.

If you do a quick cook, how long does it take to heat up and how fast to shut down when you're done?
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpcard View Post
    That grill looks great. I didn't know there was such a thing until recently.

If you do a quick cook, how long does it take to heat up and how fast to shut down when you're done?
    once you light it it takes about three minutes to get started. You can be at 350° in another five minutes. It builds temp fast, but I usually let it go for at least 15 minutes just to let the temperature equalize in the chamber because it’s a large grill. I would not recommend this if you are normally doing burgers, dogs, beer brats and things like that. I have made all of them on the grill, but if that’s what you do normally, you’re likely better with a gas grill. This thing shines on low and slow cooks primarily, but it does get up to 700°, and you can definitely do some serious seering at those temperatures, i’ve done that as well. As far as shutting it down, once you close everything up you have to allow the grill time to starve all the coals, it pretty well shuts down the burning of the coals right away, but I usually have to wait a few hours to put the cover back on. This grill is the best grill I’ve ever had, but it fits my type of cooking. I also have a built-in gas grill but I will definitely keep. If I could only have one grill this would be the grill.

How easy is it to clean?

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.

7. Member
    JL Gravity.jpg

I have a gravity feed cabinet smoker with a BBQ Guru DigiQ fan & controller for sale if anyone is interested. call text 704.634.1720 I'm near Concord, North Carolina

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat55 View Post
    How easy is it to clean?
    It’s not too bad to clean, since all the grates, heat shield and heat chamber are easily removed. After I shut the grill down and let it cool off I just put the cover on, and then before my next cook I just empty the ashtray into the garden since the ash makes good fertilizer, and then I have a shop vac and just suck up all the loose stuff. I’m sure all you have to do is empty the ashtray, but I am kind of anal about keeping it clean. definitely easier to clean then my gas grill is, since everything just picks right up and out. I guess what I’m saying is, I would not let that be anything to do with my decision on buying one or not.

Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    It’s not too bad to clean, since all the grates, heat shield and heat chamber are easily removed. After I shut the grill down and let it cool off I just put the cover on, and then before my next cook I just empty the ashtray into the garden since the ash makes good fertilizer, and then I have a shop vac and just suck up all the loose stuff. I’m sure all you have to do is empty the ashtray, but I am kind of anal about keeping it clean. definitely easier to clean then my gas grill is, since everything just picks right up and out. I guess what I’m saying is, I would not let that be anything to do with my decision on buying one or not.
    Thank you. It's next on the hit parade!

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.

I'd like to get one of these. Great alternative for those that don't care for the taste of pellets.