Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapela View Post
    I still don't understand some of these posts saying they are dissapointed that BCB didn't offer a boat for the average workingman who just wants to fish. The pantera classic is that boat, get it packaged with a 150hp, 3 inch trailer and basic helix 7's and you have the worlds best widebody 19ft working mans boat at a price that is affordable. I think it is unrealistic to think a boat manufacturer can produce an every man's 19-21ft boat with Hydraulic plates, 4 10 inch graphs, spot lock trolling motor and two power poles and have an every man price in less they literally replace every part in the boat with subpar equipment and manufacturing processes. Let's just face it most people's idea of a working man's boat is a fully rigged 20ft tournement boat like they see on tv, if it wasn't, the bobcat or margay or classic would be more than enough boat for the workingman weekend fisherman.
    +1 on this

2. Member
    Working mans boat? It is not possible for a fiberglass boat builder to manufacture a “working mans boat”. A “working mans boat” is a brand new aluminum shell boat with a 40 HP motor, or very used fiberglass Bass boat. People, new 19’ plus fiberglass Bass boats are luxury items for the well-off, like a sports car. If your household income is less than $100k per year, you are a fool to buy any new fiberglass bass boat, especially from a high end quality builder like Bass Cat. I could make a solid economic argument that a $150k annual income is really the threshold at which you could consider buying a new Bass Cat. Just a little life advise from someone who is now in his late 40s, saved aggressively since his 20s, didn’t buy a luxury item like a boat until he was 40, and when he did it was used at half the price of new, and who is now looking at early retirement at 52…..Think about retirement, save your money, buy a modest boat if you make a modest income, and don’t try to keep up with those who can afford them or those who shouldn’t be buying them. You will be way ahead in the long run and living the good life at a much earlier age than most. I only offer this advise for those wanting to be smart with money and reap the reward, some obviously have different priorities…..

P.S. The new Puma is AWESOME!!! My retirement boat and reward for a lifetime of saving.
    Last edited by Hydro870; 07-24-2021 at 07:35 AM.

Very good post about securing your future!

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro870 View Post
    Working mans boat? It is not possible for a fiberglass boat builder to manufacture a “working mans boat”. A “working mans boat” is a brand new aluminum shell boat with a 40 HP motor, or very used fiberglass Bass boat. People, new 19’ plus fiberglass Bass boats are luxury items for the well-off, like a sports car. If your household income is less than $100k per year, you are a fool to buy any new fiberglass bass boat, especially from a high end quality builder like Bass Cat. I could make a solid economic argument that a $150k annual income is really the threshold at which you could consider buying a new Bass Cat. Just a little life advise from someone who is now in his late 40s, saved aggressively since his 20s, didn’t buy a luxury item like a boat until he was 40, and when he did it was used at half the price of new, and who is now looking at early retirement at 52…..Think about retirement, save your money, buy a modest boat if you make a modest income, and don’t try to keep up with those who can afford them or those who shouldn’t be buying them. You will be way ahead in the long run and living the good life at a much earlier age than most. I only offer this advise for those wanting to be smart with money and reap the reward, some obviously have different priorities…..

P.S. The new Puma is AWESOME!!! My retirement boat and reward for a lifetime of saving.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 07-24-2021 at 05:49 PM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydro870 View Post

So you are saying a new fiberglass boat is out of range for the average consumer? I believe the median household income is right around $79k, which means the majority shouldn’t buy it. I actually agree with your point but it’s also admitting the majority of people have been priced out of the new boat market.

5. Member
    The average household should never buy one of these new 20’ bass boats. Financing a toy at 12 plus years is insane. That’s about the worst financial decision one can ever make. I know that and I’m only 34. I want a new Cat so bad I can taste it but my 2006 Champion is paid for and runs excellent. Has all the bells and whistles on it after years of adding things so why buy new.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanl View Post
    So you are saying a new fiberglass boat is out of range for the average consumer? I believe the median household income is right around $79k, which means the majority shouldn’t buy it. I actually agree with your point but it’s also admitting the majority of people have been priced out of the new boat market.
    Right, a $79k annual salary doesn’t allow for many extras, especially if you are doing some retirement saving. The majority of the people are not priced out of a new boat, they are priced out of a new fiberglass Bass boat. A new 16’ aluminum with a 40 hp motor is probably the appropriate price for someone making a modest salary….or a very used fiberglass Bass boat.

7. Member
    Expensive brand new toys arent for everyone, it is what it is. For that matter not everyone needs 20 to 21 foot. I'm not fishing many tournaments anymore and most of the lakes I now fish are under 15k acres. I went from a ranger 520 to a P2 and am very pleased. As far as a working man's boat there are plenty of aluminum options, 17 foot options etc. You dont have to strap 10k plus worth of electronics on one, you dont have to hang poles on the back, if you arent making your living from it it's a hobby, treat it as such and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WAWI View Post
    Expensive brand new toys arent for everyone, it is what it is. For that matter not everyone needs 20 to 21 foot. I'm not fishing many tournaments anymore and most of the lakes I now fish are under 15k acres. I went from a ranger 520 to a P2 and am very pleased. As far as a working man's boat there are plenty of aluminum options, 17 foot options etc. You dont have to strap 10k plus worth of electronics on one, you dont have to hang poles on the back, if you arent making your living from it it's a hobby, treat it as such and have fun.
    Amen

9. Member
    I don't think anyone here will disagree that some of these boats are very pricy, but like many have said its not a need its a want. You think bass boats are expensive go look at Malibu M235 or a Pavati. Even with their price tags I see tons of them on the lake. Sure there are some people that can truly afford some of these boats and then there are some that are living well beyond their means, but hey whom am I to tell someone how to spend their money.

I for one love the new Puma STS. The overall design and functionality is outstanding. Couple that with the amazing build quality and customer service of BCD and you have a top tier boat. BCB obviously took in to account what the consumers are looking for in a boat and answered in the way they saw fit. I absolutely love my Lynx, but this new Puma STS has me intrigued. Ill be attending the Basscat Owners Tournament in October for the first time and hope that they have one there to crawl around in. Great job BCB and congrats on 50 years building amazing boats in beautiful Arkansas!

10. Member
    I believe that's correct.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    I believe that's correct.
    It is correct. Many first time buyers put very little down payment and have a 10-15 year note. Upside down from the start. When interest rates go up again, and they surely will, you won't see as many new boats on the water.

12. Member
    Top end boats, whether bass boats or other types, have always been a luxury item out of the logical reach of most Americans. The shock of the numbers today don't really change that.

We are in a tight supply for a lot of things these days, and that causes inflation as we are seeing. Whatever happens next, some people over-extend themselves for luxury items, and boats are no different.

Love my Pantera IV and hoping I don't have to be in the market for a while. But, the new Puma looks like a great option.
    If you're too busy to go fishing, you're just too busy.

2010 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    Mercury Optimax ProXS 200

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
    Top end boats, whether bass boats or other types, have always been a luxury item out of the logical reach of most Americans. The shock of the numbers today don't really change that.

We are in a tight supply for a lot of things these days, and that causes inflation as we are seeing. Whatever happens next, some people over-extend themselves for luxury items, and boats are no different.

Love my Pantera IV and hoping I don't have to be in the market for a while. But, the new Puma looks like a great option.
    I couldn't agree more. Well said.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brightwork View Post
    +1 on this
    We stated! I'm 49 and will likely work until 55-60 depending on if I'm still enjoying what I do. We have virtually no debt with our home, short term rental condo and all three cars paid off. We both have very hefty 401k savings and other investments. I could write a check tomorrow for any bass boat I want. My bass boat is 20 years old now, but I don't have time to justify a new rig that will spend 340 days a year in the garage. Whenever I do retire I have money set aside for whatever boat I want to buy, when I have time to enjoy it more.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Law View Post
    We stated! I'm 49 and will likely work until 55-60 depending on if I'm still enjoying what I do. We have virtually no debt with our home, short term rental condo and all three cars paid off. We both have very hefty 401k savings and other investments. I could write a check tomorrow for any bass boat I want. My bass boat is 20 years old now, but I don't have time to justify a new rig that will spend 340 days a year in the garage. Whenever I do retire I have money set aside for whatever boat I want to buy, when I have time to enjoy it more.

same here exactly!! have 2 bass boats and a small boat sitting unused around now but really want a new boat. just know better!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

16. Member
    For those of you with a Lynx. Would you think about getting out of your boat to go to a new Puma STS?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTRCraft View Post
    For those of you with a Lynx. Would you think about getting out of your boat to go to a new Puma STS?
    Not anytime soon.... The Lynx is still an amazing boat. But when it comes time I'll ride the new Puma. If the ride is better and its slightly faster than the Lynx then I'd definitely buy a Puma.

18. Member
    I have a 19 Lynx and am very fond of the ride and overall layout of the boat. My next one will be the Puma. Maybe you should get the Puma and let us know if it is as nice as it looks.

19. Member
    I’ll pass for now. I am still enjoying my Lynx. Although with that being said if I could do a one for one swap and it was loaded out just like mine electronics and all I would jump on it. Lol.

The only way I would go away from the Lynx is to go back to the skinny boats an Eyra to be specific. I have heard numbers from the Puma STS that are the same as my Lynx.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112