Thread: Safety on trim?

Safety on trim?

I have a 99 tr18 with Mercury 150 efi. I’ve noticed you can trim it all that way up when out of the water but in the water it will only go so high and stop. I figured it might be some kind of safety to keep from over trimming?

The trim/tilt on my motor will go all of the way up when in the water with the motor off. Are you trying to trim up with the motor on and in gear?
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    Yes I’m talking about in gear and running it will only let you trim it so far then stops.

4. Member
    2 different functions, tilt & trim.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

5. Member
    While in gear running it will only trim so far and stop.

6. Member
    It’s a safety feature. It CAN come out of the water if the motor is running BUT only when running under a certain rpm. I can’t remember the rpms but I think it’s something like 1000 or 1500 RPMs. If your motor is running above the rpm limit, you can hold the trim button all you want and the motor will not come out of the water.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    It’s a safety feature. It CAN come out of the water if the motor is running BUT only when running under a certain rpm. I can’t remember the rpms but I think it’s something like 1000 or 1500 RPMs. If your motor is running above the rpm limit, you can hold the trim button all you want and the motor will not come out of the water.
    This is correct. When under load, only trim is able to be operated, NOT the tilt. Tilt is for getting the motor out of the water or setting up for trailering when NOT under power.
    Triton 180DC---150hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI---Bobs 6" Hydro Plate---24 Tempest Plus---Ultrex---Lowrance Carbons