Thread: Hunting boot

Hunting boot

I'd like to hear your recommendation on a warm boot for stand hunting and or boot covers. What is your preferred set up as far as wool socks also. Tired of cold feet and now is the time to get ready.

2. Member
    I dont know if they make them anymore but, I use the Cabelas Saskatchewan pac boot. It is definitely not a boot for walking a lot as it has a few inch sole. I use smartwool socks with polypropylene liners. I also use scent less spray antiperspirant on my feet as sweat is the biggest cause of cold feet. Sometimes if it was a long walk in I would use lighter boots and hang boots covers over my shoulder/neck and put them on with a heat pack tossed in them once up in the stand. I feel the pacs definitely keep my feet warmer though.

I can't stress the sweaty feet thing enough. It is a killer. If your feet are wet you will freeze. Some guys even bring a change of socks with them and put the old ones in a ziploc bag.

When these boots go I will probably be getting a pair of Baffin Apex. Have a few buddies that have them and they love them. Kind of the same concept as the Cabelas ones.

I will also add that good circulation plays a big part in warmth as well. Don't keep things tied up tight and size your boots up a 1/2 or full size for thicker socks.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

Much Arctic's. I wear a thin sock because my feet sweat easily. Another trick is to spray your feet with anti-perspirant before putting on your socks. Most cold feet are due to sweat and this will slow that down.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    Much Arctic's. I wear a thin sock because my feet sweat easily. Another trick is to spray your feet with anti-perspirant before putting on your socks. Most cold feet are due to sweat and this will slow that down.
    +1 on the sweat thing.

For the OP, it depends on how far you're walking to the stand. If it's a short walk, the Muck Arctic's are warm but I prefer my LL Bean felt lined for climbing. For a long hike I'd go light and put on boot covers.

If I have space enough, I like a pair of light Smartwool or merino socks followed by a decent synthetic like poly pro. If it's too snug I skip the Smartwool

Basically I agree with both posts above. No sure why I typed this out.

5. Member
    I never put my boots on till I get out of the truck and some call me crazy. Instead of a belt I wear suspenders, believe it helps with circulation and also the reflective inner soles in Lacrosse rubber boots. I have non insulated, 400, 800 and 1500 gram thinsulate.

Get these. http://www.icebreakerinc.com/bootblanket.php

Sent you a PM also.
    Charger 210 Elite