Mind Is Made Up.......

While I've been on BBC, I haven't really been Bass fishing in several years.

Other interests, other things happening.

I've been toying around with getting a boat and getting back in the game.

Friday, for some reason, I got a bug to go fish. So I loaded up my kayak and I grabbed a few old rods and reels. Mid-day Friday, 90 degrees, no wind, no clouds, a lake I've never seen before.

Landed 2, including one pushing 4lbs. Missed several others.

Decided to go back this morning. Landed 7-8, missed just as many. Tried 4 different baits/techniques (Spook, Splash-It, Frog, Soft Jerkbait), landed fish on all of them. Had a giant (5lb plus) completely miss my frog. Had my heart broke when another around 4lbs busted the frog and then the line snapped just as I felt the hooks bury.

All in all, I am super pleased and pissed off it took so long to get back into it. Now, its time to go boat shopping.

On a side note, the River 2 Sea frogs rock. The Bronzeye frogs suck!

Bass1.jpg

Bass3.jpg

Bass4.jpg
    Huntin' Ducks, Chasin' Pheasant, Catching Fish

2. Member
    Awesome!!!!!! Life has the ability to push out outdoors interest to the back burner. Rock On!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by opus dog View Post
    Awesome!!!!!! Life has the ability to push out outdoors interest to the back burner. Rock On!

Life, other interests and I think burn-out.

I fished 3-4 days a week for a long time. Fished tourneys. Guided in Canada where the last year I ran 72 straight days, had a day off and then ran another 67 days in a row.

Think the time away, albeit too damn long, was needed.

Fire is back now.

4. Member
    I think burn-out happens to all of us. I have it happen on and off, but I think time off is much needed. Even the pros take days/weeks off. It allows the fire to still be there. That is why I go 2-3 days a week, then some weeks I don’t go. It allows me to enjoy it. I might not be as good as the guy that goes 4-5 days a week, but I can say I truthfully enjoy every day on the water, and that means more than anything to me. Catching fish is just a bonus.

5. Smallmouth Junkie!
    I spent most of my younger years hunting all over the country. I shot whitetails, elk, bear and more turkeys than I can remember. It was a blast. I went to Florida about seven years ago to visit my parents and fish their lake they live on. Caught a five pounder while I was there I have done nothing but fish from then on. I haven’t bought a hunting license in 5 years at least.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

6. Member
    Good job! I'll send you my address if you wanna send me those Bronze eye frogs that "suck". Haha

Well hell, you're just a baby. At least you didn't wait too long!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post
    Good job! I'll send you my address if you wanna send me those Bronze eye frogs that "suck". Haha

I know guys like them. I don't. I prefer something more buoyant, that I can work a bit slower. The SPRO frogs just take on water and sink.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    Well hell, you're just a baby. At least you didn't wait too long!

42 doesn't feel like a baby, lol!

10. Banned
    As much as it sucks having to stop fishing from December to late March, it does keep the fire burning. Burnout never happens up here.

11. Member
    I little modification of the hooks with a strong pair of vice-grips will turn the bronze eyes into fish stickers- see Tactical Bassin's video on frog mods.

12. Member
    You’re using the wrong line on the frog,should be at least 50# braid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin_7 View Post
    42 doesn't feel like a baby, lol!
    Wait till you get to 63 and you'll understand!

14. Moderator
    Welcome back to the fishing world. Post pics of boat when you purchase.

15. triton
    Wait to you get to 73 .......

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

Bad time to get back into it. Boat prices are redonkulous.

17. Member
    Stick to the kayak for a while. See it the fever goes away. You had a banner day. Chances are most willnot be that way. You will get a bigger boat and go to bigger places, farther away. And after a few minutes of no bites, you will want to crankk up and find a new spot, instead of picking it apart and finding the fish. Seriously, enjoy what just happened. Go some more. See if you still feel this way in a few months.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Stick to the kayak for a while. See it the fever goes away. You had a banner day. Chances are most willnot be that way. You will get a bigger boat and go to bigger places, farther away. And after a few minutes of no bites, you will want to crankk up and find a new spot, instead of picking it apart and finding the fish. Seriously, enjoy what just happened. Go some more. See if you still feel this way in a few months.
    Depends on the kayak and the power system and motor configuration. I know guys who travel 8-10 miles by yak to get to their spots. Most have battery capacity meters on their yaks that work like a fuel gauge- and a steady 4-5mph speed is possible.