Puck on bottom of Ultrex

I have a 2019 Z20 with Helix 9 at the bow. Yesterday I noticed the wires were pinched and severed close to the steering box. I saw three of the wires cut. I went fishing anyways thinking I would either have the CHIRP sonar or the mega imaging. I encountered problems with both, the screens for both of them were messing up, i can assume interference from the damaged one

So which puck is mounted externally on the trolling motor?

Anyone repaired these wires?

2. Member
    Depends on your configuration which transducer is external. A picture of trolling motor bottom when stowed would help.
    Rad Brewer

3. Member
    I just took the boat back to storage this morning, might be a while before I get it, since our lakes are low.

4. Member
    So you are saying you have two transducers on the TM? One built-in and another strapped to the bottom? I believe in 2019 the Ultrex that shipped with Nitro's only had 2D sonar built-in. (I could be wrong, the Ultrex started shipping with built-in MDI around mid-2019 I think) So you would need a second transducer to get MDI. If the MDI transducer cable was cut you need to go into your settings on the Helix and make sure you choose the transducer that is built into the TM. You have been using just the MDI transducer for both 2D and MDI this whole time.

If that doesn't work you could also choose the transducer at the rear of the boat (assuming you have them networked properly). I know you'd rather see what's below the TM but it's better than nothing and will work until you get a new MDI transducer.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    So you are saying you have two transducers on the TM? One built-in and another strapped to the bottom? I believe in 2019 the Ultrex that shipped with Nitro's only had 2D sonar built-in. (I could be wrong, the Ultrex started shipping with built-in MDI around mid-2019 I think) So you would need a second transducer to get MDI. If the MDI transducer cable was cut you need to go into your settings on the Helix and make sure you choose the transducer that is built into the TM. You have been using just the MDI transducer for both 2D and MDI this whole time.

If that doesn't work you could also choose the transducer at the rear of the boat (assuming you have them networked properly). I know you'd rather see what's below the TM but it's better than nothing and will work until you get a new MDI transducer.
    Good information. I didn't take into account that I could use the rear transducer. I will order some waterproof solder connectors and repair the wires myself. A good winter project to do.

Thanks
    Andre

6. Member
    Here is the picture of the puck I was referring to.

I did get some waterproof heat shrink with solder inside and repaired the wires my self. I also ordered marine heat shrink tubing and a heat gun.(total cost $30 compared to $180 or more for new transducer)

Took about 2 hours to do.

I watched a youtube video that had great details and took my time with the whole thing.

Even had to take the bow panel off. Advice #1 don't unscrew the base for the helix, it is bolted to the front panel only.

When I routed the cable I avoided the coil from the steering box to the head. My wires got pinched from poor routing from installer. my cable originally went up throgh the coil and back down around the steering box and actually got twisted twice around the shaft every time spot lock turned the head.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Because of this thread, the bottom picture.

8. Member
    Should I move this to humminbird forum to find out which transducer this is?

No this is a us2, 2 d sonar. The one you have attached to the barrel is "better" quality but more susceptible to damage and unless your real big on vertical jigging in real water on 2d it's probably not worth the pain in the but. I'd just use the us2 transducer built into the trolling motor.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    No this is a us2, 2 d sonar. The one you have attached to the barrel is "better" quality but more susceptible to damage and unless your real big on vertical jigging in real water on 2d it's probably not worth the pain in the but. I'd just use the us2 transducer built into the trolling motor.
    Ok thanks, tight lines to you