BBC SPONSOR

2015 G2 250 HO with no idle water pressure

So I replaced the water pump assembly on my G2 since it was 5 years old (new to me boat) a d I was only seeing about 2 PSI water pressure at idle. First few times back out on the water and I’m still seeing 2-3 PSI so I assumed that it was normal for my engine and pretty much forgot about it. Well, while flipping through the computer screens tonight I see that I have a solid 0-1 PSI at idle now! It jumps up to over 30 PSI when rev’ed enough to come up on plane to get back to the ramp. What can cause this? “New” water pump is now about 2 months old and has about 10 operating hours on it.

thanks for any help!

2. Member
    I have the same scenario with a 2015 G1 motor. The problem is the way Ranger ran the water pressure line through a transducer in the bilge area to convert it to an electro signal. Good idea but a poor quality transducer is used. I have a new transducer to replace the original but it being way down in the bottom of the bilge and having to stand on my head to get down to it has me putting it off until I replace the trolling battery. I don’t have a lot of faith that replacing it will be a long term fix due to quality of the transducer. I’m

3. BBC SPONSOR
    mine is also on a Ranger!

Quote Originally Posted by clayshooter View Post
    I have the same scenario with a 2015 G1 motor. The problem is the way Ranger ran the water pressure line through a transducer in the bilge area to convert it to an electro signal. Good idea but a poor quality transducer is used. I have a new transducer to replace the original but it being way down in the bottom of the bilge and having to stand on my head to get down to it has me putting it off until I replace the trolling battery. I don’t have a lot of faith that replacing it will be a long term fix due to quality of the transducer. I’m

The transducer on the G2 is on the motor and is a BRP part. Assuming you are talking about a G2 with this optional part, it has nothing to do with it being on a Ranger.

2-3 PSI at idle is too low. Something isn't right. When you installed the new impeller did you run your motor on a clamp on flusher or did you connect your hose to the back of the motor
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

5. BBC SPONSOR
    neither. I took it to the ramp near my house and made sure that the tell tale was working and initially the pressure was bouncing between 3-4 PSI at idle, but quickly dropped back down to 2.

Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    The transducer on the G2 is on the motor and is a BRP part. Assuming you are talking about a G2 with this optional part, it has nothing to do with it being on a Ranger.

2-3 PSI at idle is too low. Something isn't right. When you installed the new impeller did you run your motor on a clamp on flusher or did you connect your hose to the back of the motor

Do you have the optional transducer. It is under the starboard panel.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Where is it located? I read everything on the dash computer monitor.

Under the starboard panel of the G2. If it has the BRP digital transducer you will see it connected to the water pressure line coming off the block. It will be right ther by the on motor water fuel separator

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Yes. There is a 3 pin sensor with what looks to be a 1/8” hose ziptied to a nipple on the side of the block

Well, I know the normal pressure at idle for that motor should be 5-8 PSI. Why yours is low, I'm not sure. I know BRP has two sizes of intake screens but I don't believe the smaller one causes a lower idle PSI. Something isn't right but you need one of the pros around here to comment.

11. Member
    Could it be a bad water line that is slit somewhere?
    NMEA water pressure from motor EMM is much more accurate(requires an add on part). I know nothing about G2, but I thought they came with a NMEA digital gauge.
    If your not getting hot engine codes it has to be the transducer or water supply. Sometimes mine comes loose right at the engine. If I recut the end and zip tie it fixes it.
    Last edited by E-rude_Dude; 06-21-2021 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by E-rude_Dude View Post
    Could it be a bad water line that is slit somewhere?
    NMEA water pressure from motor EMM is much more accurate(requires an add on part). I know nothing about G2, but I thought they came with a NMEA digital gauge.
    If your not getting hot engine codes it has to be the transducer or water supply. Sometimes mine comes loose right at the engine. If I recut the end and zip tie it fixes it.
    The Evinrude part is optional but apparently he has it. If so, he doesn't have a hose running to the dash.
    Not a pro but I've seen a lot of G2 guys have low pressure at idle that were not getting hot engine codes (including myself). It's still a problem and needs to be addressed. While it could be a transducer problem, it could also still be an impeller issue... or something else, I suppose.

Here is a look inside the starboard panel of my G2 with the optional water pressure transducer.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    yes, same sensor that I noted on my engine. I did find a thermostat cover, on the same side of the engine, that was cracked and I've ordered a new one. I'm hoping that this could fix both problems.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    The Evinrude part is optional but apparently he has it. If so, he doesn't have a hose running to the dash.
    Not a pro but I've seen a lot of G2 guys have low pressure at idle that were not getting hot engine codes (including myself). It's still a problem and needs to be addressed. While it could be a transducer problem, it could also still be an impeller issue... or something else, I suppose.

Here is a look inside the starboard panel of my G2 with the optional water pressure transducer.

I have the same sensor. Thanks for the picture. Mine is oriented with the hose facing up though, because that’s where the engine water port is. So the water goes down into the sensor. I doubt that makes a difference though.

15. Member
    It is important to have it installed correctly as per the picture, otherwise the transducer/sensor will not drain water and more importantly water can migrate into the wiring harness.

16. Member
    I never saw more than 3 psi on idle. It would pour water out of the back but did not show much pressure at idle. It would run 35 psi wide open and would come up to 8-10 if you bumped the throttle
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

After impeller replacement...

And a video...

https://photos.smugmug.com/1994-Cham...84041-1280.mp4

Maybe the short hose from the block to your transducer is kinked.