2004 Evinrude DI 150 sputtering etc

Ok here goes. I have a 2004 evinrude di 150. Model E150fplsrs

I took it out about 3 weeks ago and ran fine at first. As the day went on I could feel a slight “missing/ hesitation” when we were up to speed. Headed to ramp and came off plane and the engine started sputtering , smoking and seemed like it was going to cut off.
    I don’t know much about these things but when I got home I took out plugs and cleaned and reinstalled. ( they looked pretty normal)
    I went to lake this morning and same issues. Once it got up to speed it seems to run better but when it is dropped down to idle it sputtered and did cut off a few times.
    Any body got any ideas where to start looking?
    thanks in advance.
    2005 Ranger 185VS

2. Member
    Revisiting this thread.
    I finally got a minute to start looking over boat regarding this issue.
    In the garage, first thing I did was try to pump up the primer bulb. Excuse my ignorance but Correct me if I’m wrong but shouldn’t it pump up solid? It will not. So I’ll be ordering a new bulb. Any thoughts as to other possible issues that my cause this?
    thanks in advance.
    2005 Ranger 185VS

3. Member
    I would probably replace the whole hose ! I had a similar issue on my sons' 1998 merc 25 ! I went thru all the checks, and found nothing, until I took the plug ends for the connecting to the tank, and motor off ! The interior clear liner in the fuel hose had separated from the wall, as far as you could see on both ends ! New fuel line now no issues ! Note this fuel line was about 8 yrs old !

4. Member
    Mike thanks for the reply

Last weekend I did replace the fuel line from tank to the bulb and I replaced the bulb. Didn’t have a chance to water test it yet. Got a new fuel and oil filter ordered which I’ll do this weekend and replace plugs while I’m at it. Hopefully I’ll get lucky and this will solve my problem.
    2005 Ranger 185VS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcddllc View Post
    Mike thanks for the reply

Last weekend I did replace the fuel line from tank to the bulb and I replaced the bulb. Didn’t have a chance to water test it yet. Got a new fuel and oil filter ordered which I’ll do this weekend and replace plugs while I’m at it. Hopefully I’ll get lucky and this will solve my problem.
    does your new plugs need to be indexed?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    does your new plugs need to be indexed?
    Yes. I did them last year and they indexed pretty well. I did have one that I had to tighten a little more than I would have liked to get it to line up ok with the injector.
    2005 Ranger 185VS

7. Member
    Just changed the fuel filter, fuel line, bulb, oil filter, and plugs. Still the same issue. Is there an easy way to test if there’s a bad injector? Or any other suggestions?
    thanks
    2005 Ranger 185VS